Low/ No Oil Pressure, '94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
160K mi '96 1FZ engine swapped in to my '94. Appears to not build oil pressure. The gage is stuck on the first line and doesn’t move when rev’d. All other gauges and dash lights are normal.

I've read all the threads and know what to trouble shoot; today I plan to check the torque on the front pully bolt, pull the Napa (WIX) filter and replace it with a new small OEM filter and if I have to I'll troubleshoot the pressure sensor via the FSM instructions.

Any other suggestions on what to look for?

Anybody know where this random wire on the oil pressure sensor harness goes?

8D3BEC46-1AF2-4FF3-8813-58DD4DAC2A94.jpeg

I've had sensor failure on all 5 of my 80's..... it's a cheap and easy replacement.

I’d bet the WIX filter is your problem

Just checked that harness for continuity and it seemed fine. Then cleaned the terminals on the sensor it self. Also new OEM filter installed with fresh oil.

About to start it up, wish me luck...

Last edited:
Turns out to be a Mann filter, made in Germany.

Mann Hummel, based in Germany, owns WIX. I’d start there, and not run it anymore until you do. With that said it may be something else.

Nothing I did today fixed the issue, the actual oil pressure seems fine though (didn't have time to verify with manual gauge but had to run engine to check AT fluid and no issues came up, risky manuver, I know...). Going to pick up a sensor and go from there, still curious what the extra wire is for. thanks.

Get rid of the WIX filter - they are VERY bad news. Been there - done that! You are better of with a Fram - yes I know the Fram is a pos but you won’t be playing Russian roulette with your oil pressure. Friends don’t let friends run a wix on their land cruiser.

I did end up installing the small Toyota filter and a new oil pressure sensor, no change, still no gauge movement.

I’ve put about 50mi on the truck and she still runs (so stupid I haven’t verified the pressure yet with a mech gauge). At this point I’m seriously thinking it’s the wire harness or more likely the instrument cluster needs to be replaced...

Look in the little black connector. I think both white wires terminate into it side by side. Maybe there are some remains of the broken white wire in there.

Edit: admittedly not near my rig right now though. I'll try to take a look this evening. Mine had broken off too and I had to fix it a while back. Unfortunately mine had burnt up the gauge in the time the wire was off. Made a thread about it including "fixing"/making usable the gauge itself if yours leads to that: Oil Pressure Gauge FIX

Nothing I did today fixed the issue, the actual oil pressure seems fine though (didn't have time to verify with manual gauge but had to run engine to check AT fluid and no issues came up, risky manuver, I know...). Going to pick up a sensor and go from there, still curious what the extra wire is for. thanks.

Thanks for this!

I actually ordered the wiring diagram FSM to verify where that wire went, haven’t rec’d it yet so this is good ammo to get started...

Look in the little black connector. I think both white wires terminate into it side by side. Maybe there are some remains of the broken white wire in there.

Edit: admittedly not near my rig right now though. I'll try to take a look this evening. Mine had broken off too and I had to fix it a while back. Unfortunately mine had burnt up the gauge in the time the wire was off. Made a thread about it including "fixing"/making usable the gauge itself if yours leads to that: Oil Pressure Gauge FIX

Glad I could help (hopefully). I also found the thread from @1ststatecruiser that has pics that definitely seem to indicate that's where the wire goes. See: 94 LC oil pressure sensor

Thanks for this!

I actually ordered the wiring diagram FSM to verify where that wire went, haven’t rec’d it yet so this is good ammo to get started...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom