Low idle then cut-off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I experienced a problem tonight in my 94 fj80 that i cant seem to figure out. I was driving really slow into someones driveway and next thing i knew the 80 had just cut off, totally dead. put it in park and it started back up, sat there and it idle alright then a little later the rpm's got so low and jump around a bit under 1000 until it cutoff again. i cant seem to figure it out b/c sometimes it idle fine and other it doesnt. I was little low on oil but dont see how that could effect it and it was 10 degrees out but otherwise everything was fine. Is it possible that some fuel injector cleaner or gas water remover could help?

Well I'm no expert but one thing that comes to mind that people have mentioned is the air duct running from the air filter to the intake being cracked. It is not too uncommon and will screw up the air fuel mixture enough to seriously effect the idle. The crack is usually on the bottom side of the duct. Maybe pulling into the driveway was just enough to open a lil crack and mess with the air fuel mixture.

Just a wild guess, Vince

I had a similar problem a while back. It would drop suddenly in rpms while idling. I cleaned the throttle body and haven't seen it since. I do plan on checking out the wire loom later on today. But that's for another thread.

<< WARNING, DRY HUMORLESS POST TO FOLLOW: >>

Jeez Dan you're a tough crowd! Given the current concern with too much chit-chat on the tech section I thought it prudent to minimize the editorial and anecdotal content of my post. To paraphrase Sgt. Joe Friday, "Just the facts, man." As an IH8MUD "rookie" one has to watch his P's and Q's. Hard to imagine rookie status at 44, though. ::) Cheers, Greg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom