1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low idle then cut-off?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

I experienced a problem tonight in my 94 fj80 that i cant seem to figure out. I was driving really slow into someones driveway and next thing i knew the 80 had just cut off, totally dead. put it in park and it started back up, sat there and it idle alright then a little later the rpm's got so low and jump around a bit under 1000 until it cutoff again. i cant seem to figure it out b/c sometimes it idle fine and other it doesnt. I was little low on oil but dont see how that could effect it and it was 10 degrees out but otherwise everything was fine. Is it possible that some fuel injector cleaner or gas water remover could help?

2. 97cruiser

97cruiser

Well I'm no expert but one thing that comes to mind that people have mentioned is the air duct running from the air filter to the intake being cracked. It is not too uncommon and will screw up the air fuel mixture enough to seriously effect the idle. The crack is usually on the bottom side of the duct. Maybe pulling into the driveway was just enough to open a lil crack and mess with the air fuel mixture.

Just a wild guess, Vince

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
  4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I had a similar problem a while back. It would drop suddenly in rpms while idling. I cleaned the throttle body and haven't seen it since. I do plan on checking out the wire loom later on today. But that's for another thread.

5. sea2skydad

sea2skydad

<< WARNING, DRY HUMORLESS POST TO FOLLOW: >>

Jeez Dan you're a tough crowd! Given the current concern with too much chit-chat on the tech section I thought it prudent to minimize the editorial and anecdotal content of my post. To paraphrase Sgt. Joe Friday, "Just the facts, man." As an IH8MUD "rookie" one has to watch his P's and Q's. Hard to imagine rookie status at 44, though. ::) Cheers, Greg.