Low gear set for tfc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:) Anyone have experience with the after market low gear set for the split transfer case offered by Spector? SOR offers these as a direct replacement with two ratios (2.82 & 3.05) available. My question is do they make more noise than the stock gears, any problems experienced and does the benefit offset the $1600 cost ?

Those gears all come from Marks Australia, and are imported to USA by AA, MAF and SOR I thought comercialize it ..

Fact, yes more noise .. I bought Underdrive set. 8% Hi 3.05 Low, but the noise is ( not reall y much if your running MT tires, you can apreciate it ) normal to me .. when you use Low .. you forget it .. !

Jeez, you guys and your pimping :grinpimp:

I just wish I had something to pimp...nope, nothing to offer here :doh:

You can go with a 203 crawler box (check AA) for about 1k before driveshaft mods if I remember correctly. Or a marlin box, which is not cheap but oh so sweet.

You can check out my thread on crawler options.

Steve-O said:
They are noisy yes, rebuilding the t-case (new bearings, seals, gaskets) while putting the gears in does help. What year was your 60 again Brian? I offer the gears cheaper than $1,600.00. (Sorry to vendorize this thread)

Steve

Steve,

Have you guys installed any into an fj62 case with the auto tranny? I heard that they might only fit fj60s with manuals.

Steve-O said:
They are noisy yes, rebuilding the t-case (new bearings, seals, gaskets) while putting the gears in does help. What year was your 60 again Brian? I offer the gears cheaper than $1,600.00. (Sorry to vendorize this thread)

Steve
Mine is an 84 with a 2F, H55 & 3.73 TLC lockers. How much noisier are they?

muddogbob said:
Steve,

Have you guys installed any into an fj62 case with the auto tranny? I heard that they might only fit fj60s with manuals.

I believe the 38mm set will work yes. We havent done it here in the shop yet, but we sent a set out for a customer a while back. I think he needed some special half shell bushings or something. I didnt sell it to him so I dont exactly remember what had happened.

Steve

muddogbob said:
Steve,

I am looking into doing this myself. AA's website says some tcase mods are needed but doesnt go into detail.

$1400 is a hard pill to swallow.

If you're considering that kind of $$$, why not get a Marlin Toybox? Better gear spread, driveshafts more evenly sized, and lower gears than you'll ever need.

Exiled said:
If you're considering that kind of $$$, why not get a Marlin Toybox? Better gear spread, driveshafts more evenly sized, and lower gears than you'll ever need.

I didnt think you could use a toybox on a 62.

BJ60-H55F

I have the 1.08-3.05. The under drive for both high and low is noticable. T-case needed building anyway...and NO drivetrain modifications. The gearset I have comes alive above 2500rpm on the highway in 5th. After a couple of changes with dino, I now have synth in it. It has gotten quieter.

With 35's and 4:11's I am geared just right in high range, and the speedo is close enough to call accurate with no adjustment gearset requried at the t-case.

Won't make the truck a rock crawler, but again...a noticable improvement...

If it's justified for the expense only you can decide.

Exiled has a point however, if you don't mind delving into drivetrain mods and linkage mods...

gb

Last edited:
Exiled said:

Us A440 guys don't have that option...

The Mark's gears will fit an fj62 auto tranny setup--I have them in mine. You used to have to use the 60 series brass press in bearings but now the Mark's gears come with the same split roller bearings that are stock in fj62s. Since we don't have the option of the Marlin box for our applications, it's worth considering, especially since with our torque converters we get more bang for the buck (think it works out to about 70:1 final drive).

As I've mentioned in the past, if the exchange rate is good you might be able to get a much better price by buying direct from Mark's (that's what I did, but it was several years ago when the exchane rate made for a huge discount).

As for noise, they sound exactly like a Cruiser with a t-case in need of a rebuild. A noticeable gear whine, but not that bad and you get used to it quickly.

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

majanrk said:
Jeez, you guys and your pimping :grinpimp:

I just wish I had something to pimp...nope, nothing to offer here :doh:

You can go with a 203 crawler box (check AA) for about 1k before driveshaft mods if I remember correctly. Or a marlin box, which is not cheap but oh so sweet.

You can check out my thread on crawler options.

The grace with the Marks low gear set, are the Hi 8% reduction, without new R&P set in your tires upgrade .. you have a lots of Low reduction, and Hi reduction to proper power in highway.

Timoss said:
The Mark's gears will fit an fj62 auto tranny setup--I have them in mine. You used to have to use the 60 series brass press in bearings but now the Mark's gears come with the same split roller bearings that are stock in fj62s. Since we don't have the option of the Marlin box for our applications, it's worth considering, especially since with our torque converters we get more bang for the buck (think it works out to about 70:1 final drive).

As I've mentioned in the past, if the exchange rate is good you might be able to get a much better price by buying direct from Mark's (that's what I did, but it was several years ago when the exchane rate made for a huge discount).

As for noise, they sound exactly like a Cruiser with a t-case in need of a rebuild. A noticeable gear whine, but not that bad and you get used to it quickly.

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

Good to hear. This looks to be about my only option at this point, before drastically modifying the drivetrain. With 4.88s it would put me at 44:1. Not bad with the auto. Not to mention make my 4.88s feel like 5.29s on the road. This would be great for turning my 37s.

Question, did the gear that slides over your tranny output have longer splines that stock? I heard it did, and so it gets rid of the "clunk" that develops from the worn splines on the output.

If this is the case, this mod would kill 4 birds with 1 stone.
-Lower Low-Range
-Lower High-Range
-T-case rebuild
-Fixing the "clunk"

muddogbob said:
Question, did the gear that slides over your tranny output have longer splines that stock? I heard it did, and so it gets rid of the "clunk" that develops from the worn splines on the output.

There used to be a gearset sold that replaced all the gears in the t-case, and did just that. It is apparently no longer available. Now, one would get the Marks gears, and then get the fully splined output gear for the output shaft from Dan at 4wheelauto in Edmonton. Throw an extreme valve body in the A440 from Slee (USA distributor for Wholesale Automatics) a tranny cooler, and your Golden...

gb

Greg_B said:
There used to be a gearset sold that replaced all the gears in the t-case, and did just that. It is apparently no longer available. Now, one would get the Marks gears, and then get the fully splined output gear for the output shaft from Dan at 4wheelauto in Edmonton. Throw an extreme valve body in the A440 from Slee (USA distributor for Wholesale Automatics) a tranny cooler, and your Golden...

gb

4wheelauto in Edmonton? Details? How much?

This is going to get expensive!

muddogbob said:
4wheelauto in Edmonton? Details? How much?

This is going to get expensive!

I think the gear (output gear, spacer, pto all in one, and fully splined) are something like $800.00 cdn. They are Japanese gears, not the Oz ones. He has them in stock, however I can not find them on his site.

http://www.4wheelauto.com/

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom