Low Fuel Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just in the process of putting in a new dash as mine was cracked and bounced around a bit on rough roads. While it's in bits I have been tidying up the extra wires under the dash and fixing any problems. The low fuel light has never worked in the 7 years I have had it.

The bulb looked good but I replaced it any way..

What I need to know is there a way to test if the light is working.

Should it come on when the ignition is turned on as do the other warning lights.

my low fuel light does NOT illuminate when I turn ignition like the other lights do. I have no idea of how to check that light besides draining out the gas. from what I've learned about it: CDan and Beno discovered the light begins flickering on and off when roughly 5 gallons are left in tank. hope it helps

Run your truck down to the last 5 gallons (or Aussie equivalent), and the light should come on.

I would think that by accessing the fuel pump via the hatch under the carpet, you could get on the wire that sends the signal to the cluster. This way you could add a ground or hot to detect if it works. I'm looking at the wiring diagrams now...

ok lets see... on the fuel sender side, connector pin 1 wire should be red (R) per fsm. That should lead you to the low fuel light in the cluster-block C pin 11. The yellow/red wire pin 4 (Y-R) per fsm, is the guage sender wire-block C pin 14. These seem to be a variable ground signal. So undo the connector at the fuel pump and ground pin 1 red, then turn on key and verify you have a bright glowing fuel light...
Based on page 28 per fsm wiring diagrams. Please correct me asap if I am wrong! hope this helps...

My fuel light has never come on... I've ran it down to "E" and nothing... sounds like I need to do some testing.

I just had mine come on then drove about another 10 miles , when it did fill the main tank took around 22 US gals . After filling both tanks I was $175 lighter in the wallet and 60 gals heavier in the cruiser .
I don't know if the should be :) or:crybaby:

If it doesn't come on when the fuel gets low this time I think I will give up on it as it doesn't sound like an easy fix. Being Deisel I assume I will need to get to the sender unit and if ithas to be accessed through the rear floor it will be a pita removing the drawers. I'll might have to just go back to driving till it coughs and then change tanks.. Thanks for the replies

Last edited:
it was a long time before i found out mine worked. i would run it to under the e on the gauge plus a week before filling up, my sender was soo far off. i finally readjusted the sender so now, shortly after it goes to e, the light comes on.

if you fill up when needle's at "E" you wont put in 25 gallons or ever see a low fuel light. That's what I was doing first few weeks I had mine and I was curious why a fuel light never came on. The needle will break off after "E" and go about 10 gallons worth lower. I filled mine up putting in no more than 16 gallons everytime it got to "E". I was glad to find out I had a lot bigger tank than I thought!

The fuel sock/compartment is under the 2nd row seat... shouldn't have to remove drawers if they're just in your cargo area.

if you fill up when needle's at "E" you wont put in 25 gallons or ever see a low fuel light. That's what I was doing first few weeks I had mine and I was curious why a fuel light never came on. The needle will break off after "E" and go about 10 gallons worth lower. I filled mine up putting in no more than 16 gallons everytime it got to "E". I was glad to find out I had a lot bigger tank than I thought!

This is exactly what I do... fill up once I'm at "E". And never put in more than about 18 gallons. I guess that explains why I've never seen the fuel light! I'll have to test out my actual range sometime. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom