Shock mount Rusted and broke off & Low control arm bracket front side rusted and cracked need a quick fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 96 Toy Landcruiser 80 Series & the front control arm bracket is cracked. Still on but rusted and cracked. The front side is still attached. How can I reinforce w a quick easy fix. Thought about using caster plates. This is a drive on beach car only so just need it operational and safe. I saw reinforced plates for bracket for 100 series but not for 80 series. The shock mount rusted off and was removed I secured the brake lines And ordered OEM replacement from cruiser parts which is taking forever to arrive.

F250C138-F2E8-427A-B76E-0B4C9EB769DD.jpeg

EC128034-2527-4FCB-9BEB-4538A9C34D3F.jpeg

CC0BD88E-1B24-4C74-AE9A-E15EF756A472.jpeg

Last edited:
Take it to a welder, if isnt too rusted they should be able to clean the rust off, weld the crack, grind the weld flat, and weld another piece of plate over the cracked area to reinforce the bracket. Honestly that is some nasty rust

Take it to the scrapper! o_O

But yeah, @leonard_nemoy is correct, pretty much all you can do is take it to a competent fabricator and have him repair as well as he can.

Haha don't let these guys scare you too much. If you ever venture up to NH, I have a buddy who could probably weld that back together for you. After that, you should consider getting your rig done with wirebrush/needler, rust converter and oil coat treatment. I know a place in NH that could do that for you as well.

Take it to a welder, if isnt too rusted they should be able to clean the rust off, weld the crack, grind the weld flat, and weld another piece of plate over the cracked area to reinforce the bracket. Honestly that is some nasty rust
Thanks for the advice. The car was a ski and beach car so it seen lots of salt and it lives in Boston.

Haha don't let these guys scare you too much. If you ever venture up to NH, I have a buddy who could probably weld that back together for you. After that, you should consider getting your rig done with wirebrush/needler, rust converter and oil coat treatment. I know a place in NH that could do that for you as well.
Thank you for advice! I live close to NH border so that might work. Please send me his information.

Thank you for advice! I live close to NH border so that might work. Please send me his information.
PM me your contact information and I'll ask him if he's interested in welding on a rusty old Cruiser. I'll also send you information on a place that can treat your undercarriage to halt the rust progression.

Had a welder fix the mount and control arm. Hopefully it will last a year or two he didn’t add much support but it is working so far around town. $650 for 3 hours of work little pricey from a greedy little welder who works out of his driveway never tell the guy what you do for work..see pics. Off Roading is out of the question but ok for beach

01D2C2B4-9BBB-4E90-BB41-0606F26F4839.jpeg

EA31634D-1479-4376-952C-9E022798651B.jpeg

Oof... yeah. That might get you down the road but I would go to a "real" welder soon. Those welds don't look like they have any penetration at all. None of the rusty material was prepped (taked down to bare metal). I see no beveled edges on the patches... the welds almost look like solder. I wish things lined up with my buddy... but I get how stuff like that goes.

Did you try giving Ratchetts a call? There's also KG motorsports out in Fitzwilliam that can do solid fab work.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend a little more money and get it taken done again "the right way". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Feel free to contact me over PM if you'd like to discuss.

Oof... yeah. That might get you down the road but I would go to a "real" welder soon. Those welds don't look like they have any penetration at all. None of the rusty material was prepped (taked down to bare metal). I see no beveled edges on the patches... the welds almost look like solder. I wish things lined up with my buddy... but I get how stuff like that goes.

Did you try giving Ratchetts a call? There's also KG motorsports out in Fitzwilliam that can do solid fab work.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend a little more money and get it taken done again "the right way". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Feel free to contact me over PM if you'd like to discuss.
Yes I gave him a call but he didn’t want to do it based on the pictures. The welder did get down to metal welding edge and added steal plates which you can not see. He also welded the bracket on the control arm to stabilize that. If it gets me another year I am happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom