Low Beams Gone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CSA

Threads
About 18 months ago, I installed the Slee headlight harness and some HIR bulbs. Until recently, the harness and bulbs functioned flawlessly.

Now, out of the blue, I have no low beams. I can hear the OEM relay clicking when I activate the headlamp switch, but the low beams no worky.

Is there something in particular I should look at or just start trouble shooting?

Thanks.

Do you have the older Slee harness with the non-standard style relays? Swap the high and low beam relays and see if that brings your low-beams back.

I've had 4(!) of those relays fail on my Slee harness in the two or three years since I installed mine. This is the one Slee product that I have genuinely been dissatisfied with. I have since paid for several replacement relays and the new updated harness.

The newer harness uses more standard 5 pin style relays that are presumably more reliable and widely available.

Last edited:
Check the relay as Ryan mentioned. Both are automotive style relays, however the earlier ones were just difficult to source locally. The harness is supplied with the relays that manufacturer gives us. Yes there has been failures, but mostly due to light bulbs that draw excessive current. Not always the case, but mostly.

The new harness allows one to swap the relays with more expensive Bosch or Tyco units (since they new harness uses a more standard 5 pin relay setup). If we have to supply it with the more expensive relays we would have to up the price on the harness.

My Slee harness has the four pin relays. I swapped the relays, but I still have no low beams. There was quite a bit of moisture (water) in the relays, but the high beams still worked after the swap. I swapped also one of the HIR low beam bulbs with a known good OEM bulb and still no low beams. Are there any other specific components I should check? Again, the OEM relay under the hood clicks when I activate the headlights, so it seems the problem must be downstream of that.

Thanks again.

Aren't there a pair of fusible links in the Slee harness (one for high, one for low)? I'd check those next since it seems like no power is getting to the relay.

Both the fusible links to the Slee harness appear to be intact. The OEM relay under the hood appears to be fine, too. It doesn't look burned, and provides one audible click for the running lamps and another audible click for what should be the low beams. The high beams work fine.

From what I have read previously on this forum, fusible links can look fine but be toasted on the inside. Can you use a voltmeter to check the harness and see how far the 12V from the battery gets? That should narrow down the problem.

Thanks. It's too dark and too cold out to proceed tonight. I'll check the fusible links more thoroughly tomorrow. I know the one for the high beams works, though.

Check the connection where the factory harness connect to the Slee harness. In very early ones the pins on our connector was thin and could possibly loose connection with the vehicle harness. If you have a lot of moisture in the relays then you probably have them in the connectors as well. Check for corrosion. We recommend using di-electric grease to prevent corrosion on the connectors.

Are you sure the bulbs are good? I had both low beams fail at the same time several years ago.

I had one of the wires pull out of the relay and killed the low beams on mine also. I pushed it back in and hit all the connections with dielectric grease. Works just fine since then.

I've been using the Slee headlight harness and one OEM and one HIR for low beams. I set it this summer. Knock on wood, but works great and can really see the difference. I did use di-electric grease on all the plug in connections.

Really great product so far.

Hope your low beams work now.

I've got a new updated harness inbound. Hopefully, that will do the trick. Many thanks for all of the input.

I installed the updated Slee harness today, and the low beams now worky fine. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I suspect the problem was just a loose connection between the male OEM low beam connector and the female Slee low beam connector. No biggie. I learned something and have the updated harness. Thanks again for the input.

Are you sure the bulbs are good? I had both low beams fail at the same time several years ago.

When any of my low or high beam bulbs fail after it's normal life span, I don't take any chances and replace both of them at the same time, and of course I do the same with the stop bulbs.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom