Love bacon, but damn the splatter..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Alright you bacon lovers, I need some ways to control the bacon splatter when i cook them on the electric skillet. I'm talking about a large rectangular skillet. I like the grease for making pancakes afterwards. Short of making one up using a cardboard or sheet metal, is there a pre-made solution for this? I'm thinking of something similar to a coleman stove with three sided walls but made for a large electric skillet. My Google search ability isn't too strong apparently.

Last edited:
Splatter shield. They come in different sizes. Cheap. Cooking section at wallyworld

I just put the bacon in a covered skillet on high until it is crispy.

51d2nRW1RHL._SX355_.jpg

I haven't cooked bacon in a skillet in years. Put it in a 375 deg oven on a baking sheet lined with foil, ~20 mins. Flip a couple of times while you're cooking other stuff. All the grease is caught in the foil, which you can pour off into a can, then peel off and toss (recycle). No mess.

This is how restaurants cook bacon.

Oh yeah, don't buy cheap bacon. They pump it full of water for the "seasoning" and to increase profit. It's the water that causes the spattering.

I just put the bacon in a covered skillet on high until it is crispy.

51d2nRW1RHL._SX355_.jpg

I've got these for the pan but was wanting something for a large, rectangular electric skillet. We used the bacon grease for cooking a dozen pancakes and some SPAM for the first time today!

Cooking the bacon in the oven works great. Do that. It takes longer so you need to plan ahead, but it's overall better bacon.

Cooking the bacon in the oven works great. Do that. It takes longer so you need to plan ahead, but it's overall better bacon.

Yeah, we may just have to do that and use the bacon grease for other things.

What I do is wait a few minutes for the grease to cool a little, then I pour it into an ice cube tray that has Saran Wrap pushed down into each cell. Put it into the freezer for awhile, then the little cubes will pop right out, no mess on the ice cube tray. Keep them in a tupperware container in the freezer, when you need to fry something like pancakes, eggs, whatever, you have single servings of bacon grease in a convenient package.

I do the same thing with clarified butter. I've also poured it into the little sample cups that we use to make jello shots.

What I do is wait a few minutes for the grease to cool a little, then I pour it into an ice cube tray that has Saran Wrap pushed down into each cell. Put it into the freezer for awhile, then the little cubes will pop right out, no mess on the ice cube tray. Keep them in a tupperware container in the freezer, when you need to fry something like pancakes, eggs, whatever, you have single servings of bacon grease in a convenient package.

I do the same thing with clarified butter. I've also poured it into the little sample cups that we use to make jello shots.

Dang, that's a good idea!!

IMG_5474.JPG
Crummy pic from the grocery store but it makes sense. A glass cap.

A buddy swears by cooking in the oven on parchment paper. Wife got tired of same and moved to Costco cooked bacon using microwave.

I've got a George Foreman Grill, we buy thick cut bacon and I usually place it on there thick. Grease runs out the bottom into a little container. Clean up is easy as well.

It's also great for making burgers or chicken.

Cookingbacon-421x1024.jpg

1091086-Bacon-for-the-Family-or-a-Crowd-158727-mommyluvs2cook-e1425415218251-1024x581.jpg

You are cooking your bacon at too high a temperature. Lower temperatures mean less spatter, if a bit longer cooking time.

You should be able to make breakfast with no shirt on.

It's been mentioned already, but these are great. They are called splatter guards and are relatively cheap.
shield.jpeg

Precook Costco bacon has won me over. No mess and super easy.

We've been using this Kirkland/Hormel bacon for years now. It seems expensive but it really isn't compared to uncooked bacon. We stick it on a paper towel on a microwave safe plate and 30-60 seconds later (depending on portion size and preferred doneness) it's ready. Wipe the plate with the paper towel and Bob's your uncle.

Costco-10500-Kirkland-Signature-Fully-Cooked-Bacon.jpg

@alia176 I'm a griddle guy. Have my triple burner camp chef set up outside on my porch so splatter isn't an issue for me. I'm guessing if you drop hotcake batter on bacon grease you won't be joining to microwave bacon crowd anytime soon:hillbilly:

A quick redneck solution would be to use some heavy gauge aluminum foil. Double or triple for strength and build a back/side splash.

Or you could fab something like this up to fit your griddle dimensions. Cut up some stainless steel to your liking or some heavy gauge sheet pans(used restaurant supply store). A piano hinge and rivets would be perfect.
IMG_4105.PNG

Looks like someone has a patent on a rectangular griddle screen. I'd probably build mine so that the top could be flipped up for quick access. Build it so the weight of the griddle holds the frame stable. A simple hood prop to keep it up
IMG_4104.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom