Loud tick after some shenanigans… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My guess is a manifold gasket leak. Doesn’t fit with the observed it’s everywhere sound, unless maybe both sides let loose at the same time.

Suppose the timing chain tensioner shouldn’t just snap back like this, but let me know what you think…

The tensioners work with hydraulic pressure. There is some locking cam action but I've not played with them directly to say it's not normal.

That snap back is normal as it has no oil pressure in it. It's likely binding up when going the other way and if you take that loose chain and tap it with you finger you'll hear the tapping sound they make when the tensioner is not working correctly. I would take it out and make sure it slides freely, if it doesn't then it has a problem.

Where was the plastic from? Was it from the chain guide?

Last edited:
That snap back is normal as it has no oil pressure in it. It's likely binding up when going the other way and if you take that loose chain and tap it with you finger you'll hear the tapping sound they make when the tensioner is not working correctly. I would take it out and make sure it slides freely, if it doesn't then it has a problem.

Where was the plastic from? Was it from the chain guide?
I had someone on Instagram explain the same thing. Normal operation when there’s no oil pressure behind it. Thank you for confirming this.

I removed it and it does seem to slide smoothly 🤷🏻‍♂️

And looking over the chain guide on this side, I can’t see any signs that the plastic came from it. It looks completely intact.

Anyone know if there would be a problem running my valve covers and timing cover through a hot tank to clean them? Obviously making sure there’s no sensors or gaskets left in them.

Anyone know if there would be a problem running my valve covers and timing cover through a hot tank to clean them? Obviously making sure there’s no sensors or gaskets left in them.

That only works if you powder coat them red afterwards. ;)

1673545047161.png

I feel like if the motor stays stock, it shouldn’t draw any extra attention to itself. And if it’s not significantly upgraded, it might as well remain stock looking. I could see some temperature coating being a nice thing, but otherwise I’m not much for color 🤓

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom