loud creak after OME (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put on my OME lift last week and I am getting a loud "creaking" sound in the front end when I turn the steering wheel. It started after driving it for several days. I tried listending but cant really pin point it - sounds like its a spring slipping in its seat but I didn't feel it when I had my wife turn wheel while I was under it. any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

added info 850J's Front and 863's rear with slee sway bar drop blocks, havn't put castor correction bushing in yet.

I had a lesser version after my 850J/863 install .. took about a week I remember to settle down, and not make the odd sound upon turning. Might have been the springs .. though at first I thought it was the front control arms being rubbed.

TY

Definitely put the caster bushings in. They make a world of difference after a lift.

Also, check the following:

1. Shock mount points (front and rear, top and bottom).

2. Check your u-joint connections--look for looseness in axial play (both joints in both drive shafts).

3. Grab your front drive shaft while the truck is on the ground and try to turn it in either direction. You will get a little play (.25"-~.75") either direction, but you shouldn't get much more than that (at least that is my understnding of driveline play).

4. Make sure the bolts going into your sway bar drops are secure as well into the captured nuts on the linkage assy.

5. Make sure you are not getting any rubbing between relay rod (behind the differential) and the front control arms--though this is more an issue after the caster bushings.

6. Finally, check the TRE ends on both the tie rod and the relay rod.

This should give you enough PM for awhile. report back your findings.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Beno has a good list of checks. My money is that the front shock mounts are not tight enough. Tighten till you get a good bulge in the bushings.
Cheers,
Sean

And the winner is....

Capt. Jim said:
Check your panhard bar bushings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom