Loud banging from rear(?) on right turns. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving around town in 12-18 degree weather lately I'm hearing a loud banging sound on right turns after a stop. I would think birfs except the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear. Right rear, if I had to guess, but it's hard to say since it only does it some of the time and not very often. Assuming I'm right about the location, what could this possibly be? BANG BANG BANG BANG

Loose exhaust or spare tire? Broken shock mount? Ice clunker built up behind right rear tire?

From a dead stop if you turn right do you hear the noise? more so when you have some speed? does it happen when applying the brakes?

No brakes. Leaving a red light and going right. Sound peaks at maximum tilt and tapers off as I straighten out. Accelerating smartly but nothing excessive. Loud thunk. Maybe four beats per second. Low pitch and can just about be felt through the seat/wheel.
I've heard my birf before , it really does sound like that.

Do you have your CDL engaged?

Thunk thunk thunk thunk... but coming from the rear?
At that frequency, I'd think maybe something hitting the driveshaft.
If you're not sure about rear or front, I'd suspect the CV joints unless they are new.
If it were a wheel bearing, it would be present all the time.
This is far-fetched, but if you have disc brakes, make sure the calipers are attached. My wife had a thunk noise that turned out to be a caliper only held in by a single bolt. The moron who replaced the pads never torqued anything and her caliper was bouncing off the wheel weights. It shouldn't be possible on an 80-series with the caliper x wheel clearance, but worth a check.

Also make sure whoever is tied up in the back has their restraints nice and tight.

I had something similar on my coupe - it was a loose bolt and it only happened when I was turning the wheels to the left.

If you think it is the rear, I would change the diff fluid and look for metal.

On a right turn the right wheel is rotating slower and the left is rotating faster. I've had a differential start binding on me before that made a lot of unhappy noises, but never in a Cruiser. From my experience it was also accompanied with skidding/chirping from the tires.

If you think it is the rear, I would change the diff fluid and look for metal.

On a right turn the right wheel is rotating slower and the left is rotating faster. I've had a differential start binding on me before that made a lot of unhappy noises, but never in a Cruiser. From my experience it was also accompanied with skidding/chirping from the tires.

That was my first thought, but it's been 15-20 degrees and windy every day, (it was 5 two nights ago) and the 80 doesn't fit in my garage anymore so I'm in wait and see mode for now. Gathering info on things to check when there's a break in this crazy cold.

Thunk thunk thunk thunk... but coming from the rear?
At that frequency, I'd think maybe something hitting the driveshaft.
If you're not sure about rear or front, I'd suspect the CV joints unless they are new.
If it were a wheel bearing, it would be present all the time.
This is far-fetched, but if you have disc brakes, make sure the calipers are attached. My wife had a thunk noise that turned out to be a caliper only held in by a single bolt. The moron who replaced the pads never torqued anything and her caliper was bouncing off the wheel weights. It shouldn't be possible on an 80-series with the caliper x wheel clearance, but worth a check.

Also make sure whoever is tied up in the back has their restraints nice and tight.

Classic ;)

I do have to wonder if it's the center diff/viscous coupling that's binding up on turns. Maybe hit the CDL button when you hear the sound and see if that makes any difference?

I have a friend that was experiencing something like this and we determined it must be rear four-link bushings and the track-bar bushings.

While he was under there replacing parts, he discovered the RR bumper end cap was loose. When he bumped it with his knee, it made the noise he was experiencing. He checked it after he did all the bushings and it still did it. So he tightened the bumper cap and the noise went away.

Stick a gopro under there and drive around to see if it catches what's making the noise in the act. Otherwise, my wild a
ss guess isn't going to be any better than yours or anyone else's that hasn't seen/heard it in person and gone underneath to poke around.

Agree with above. Your going to have to get a lot more info for an educated guess. I would get a friend in the back and see if he can narrow down location. Jack it up and push and pull on everything. Your gonna have to find something loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom