LOTS of oil in coolent reservoir PLZ HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my FZJ80 would need about a quart of oil every 1000 miles i have had it for about 4 months now and there would be little Oil stains underneath the car so I assume that’s where the oil was all going however today whenever I went to go top off the oil I decided to check the coolant reservoir and it’s literally full of oil however there is no coolant in the oil does anybody know what’s going on here?(im 18 and its my first land cruiser idk these trucks too well yet)

127B65E9-C5FB-43DD-AF00-F463BF35A602.jpeg

I'm sorry for your loss.

That would be a head gasket or oil cooler failure.

Don't drive it any more until it gets repaired. Seriously.

What year, how many miles? Do you have any previous service records?

I'm sorry for your loss.

That would be a head gasket or oil cooler failure.

Don't drive it any more until it gets repaired. Seriously.

What year, how many miles? Do you have any previous service records?
Its a 1997 with 218,000 and really clean with 1 owner he got it serviced at the Toyota dealership however he did say it sat for 4 years

Its a 1997 with 218,000 and really clean with 1 owner he got it serviced at the Toyota dealership however he did say it sat for 4 years
If there are any service records that say the head gasket was replaced?

Probably not, but resurrecting a truck that has sat for 4 years, would not surprise me that a HG failed, especially if it was the original HG.

This engine is known for first HG failures within 120K to 300K miles.

Those symptoms point to this exactly.

Why did the PO stop driving it? I'll bet it was related to this.

@jacobmatheny914 first things first. Without a doubt this is a blessing in disguise. This could have happened many miles from home and left you stranded. The second piece of good news is that the parts you need are not exhorbantly expensive. A head gasket kit from Partsouq (which will have almost everything you need) will cost about $200. Maybe the same or less for new head bolts. You will also need to take the head to a machine shop so the can work their magic. That shouldn't cost more than $4-500. So all in you would be out of pock by about a grand. You will need to do all the wrenching yourself but if you can follow a recipe then you can change a headgasket.

Look at the bright side, with no coolant in the oil sump at least the mains aren't roached. (or at least not guaranteed anyway)

Start with a leak down test. That will tell you if it's the head gasket or the oil cooler.

There are lots of automotive idiots out there.

Here is a hopeful possibility. One of them added oil to the coolant reservoir!

First off, do a coolant drain, see what is in there! If a 1/2 quart of oil was added to overflow it would always float at the top making it seem it is FULL of oil.

Drain cooling system and report back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom