Lots of oil from rocker cover breather - oil restrictor missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

My 4.2L 1HD-T 80 series is experiencing some serious oil usage. I've narrowed it down to the rocker cover breather outlet; temporary catch can collected 250-300mL of oil on a ~50km test run.

There is some variability in the amount of oil collected. Driving at ~80km/h (about 5 PSI turbo boost - peaking at no more than 10 PSI) for 10km resulted in a very much drier catch can. Oil was only a thin film in the bottom. I drove the remaining 40km at highway speed and threw in some heavy acceleration to get boost and RPM right up there. That gave me the few hundred mLs of oil in the can... I've closed the baffles in the rocker cover as much as possible but that didn't make a difference.

Block, head and turbo (Gturbo) were reconditioned and self-installed no more than 5,000km ago. Fuel pump and injectors were done no more than 10-15,000km ago.

I've spoken to a couple of diesel mechanics about the symptoms. They reckon the little oil restrictor at the back of the block is the most likely culprit. Part number 11448 on this diagram: Cylinder block for Toyota LAND CRUISER/LAND CRUISER PRADO HDJ80 1990...1995 | MegaZip online shop. With the restrictor missing, oil supply to the head is apparently much more than needed. As I said, some mates and I installed the block and head ourselves. It's possible the oil restrictor wasn't supplied or fell out somewhere along the line.

What do you think? Have you heard of this happening before?

Might want to post this in the diesel section also. Majority of us here are running gassers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom