Lot of grease coming from steering knuckle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've got a lot of grease working it's way out of my steering knuckles. I tried (without success) to attach a photo of it. Don't think our server will let me.

Prior to being a member of this board (and knowing better), I pumped about a tube and a half in each one. Until grease was backing out of the plug hole.

If anyone will look at the photo, I should probably be able to e-mail a copy.

Thanks for any insight.
Rookie2

Your fine, I did this to mine 6 years ago, was not a problem. Thought at the time that you were suppose to fill them up. Just wipe off the excess grease and next oil and filter change only put 6 squirts in each knuckle.

edit -- to try to reconcile my post and pitbull's post, how much grease are you talking about? I had assumed "a lot" meant enough to saturate the felt seal and cause it to leak badly.

I am assuming it's coming out of the wiper seals on the inside of the axles. Sounds like you put too much grease in and it's got to go somewhere You might possibly be able to get away with detaching the wiper seals, scooping some grease out of the knuckle, cleaning the grease off the seals and reattaching everything. I would try that if your vehicle is not otherwise due for a birfield repack. You would just need to remove the wheels, and undo 6 10mm bolts per side, carefully clean and reseat the metal, rubber and felt seals, put the covers back on and torque them bolts back to 43 inch lbs. If the leaks keep coming after that you'd know you are doomed.

The alternative is nasty because you will have to pull everything down to the knuckle to replace the seals. If you do that, you may as well repack the birfs and service the bearings.

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=10922;start=msg98166#msg98166 date=1075769075]
edit -- to try to reconcile my post and pitbull's post, how much grease are you talking about? I had assumed "a lot" meant enough to saturate the felt seal and cause it to leak badly.
[/quote]

The back side of the knuckle is covered with about a 1 - 2 mm thick (guestimate) coat of grease. You could write your name in it and have enough on your finger to pretty much fill a 7up bottle cap. It cakes up around the inner most section of travel and flings off in chunks about the size of a candy corn. Hope this helps reconcile. As always a picture's worth a 1000 words, but I was to in-ept to get the thing to post. I had tentatively planned on doing a birf repack in April, with others I hope. I guess I'll wipe her down for now and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom