Lost Speedo, Tach, Cruise, Stumbling Idle Coming to Stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 FZJ80
Went out to Ocean shores Wa, for the weekend. On my way to the campsite I noticed my Speedo bouncing, eventually stopped moving all together. At this time, the Tach stopped working, and the cruise stopped working as well. The cruise light would illuminate but not engage. Shortly after I noticed the engine would stumble(250rpm) and die if I didn't give it some gas coming to a complete stop. The truck would start right up. I have read around and the VSS #1, and #2 at the cluster are my first culprits. No flashing OD light, still operates as should when button pressed. Transmission still shifting as it should. No CEL. Wires near EGR seem to be intact. I would need to remove some heat wrap to fully inspect.

A few days has gone by, I disconnected the VSS #1 at the TC and cleaned the plugs with electrical cleaner. Undid the 12mm bolt holding the VSS and the gear still looks great, no wear or missing teeth. I did notice I could spin a piece of the VSS around once it was back installed on the TC. There was a part that has the plug spinning around, while the piece that goes into the TC would not spin. I will be testing the #1 sensor tomorrow via the FSM procedure.

Today I also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, and drove around the truck after doing all the VSS #1 cleaning. The Speedo intermittently bounced for the first 30 seconds while driving and stopped all together. I racked up a whole 0.1 miles on the tach throughout this process. Still no CEL or OD flashing. I know some of the codes are two trip triggered.

Question #1: Is the stumbling idle/dying related to the VSS at all?
Question #2: If both VSS #1/2 check out, what would be my next option?

Check yur speedo cable on the transfercase?
[/QUOTE
I believe these are electronic speed wires, drivien by the VSS gear. No cable

Just an update for anyone experiencing this same problem.

Replaced VSS # 1 at the TC, everything works as it should now. Speedo, Tach, cruise control, no more low/dying idle coming to a stop. All is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom