Lost reverse gear and drive in 4 Hi! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week during a very muddy and late night evacuation of some 200 youth, I lost my reverse gear and then forward gears in 4 hi on an 01 LX. This was scary. All this at 3 am in the morning. At one point I had 13 people in the LX. We carried on in 4 Lo.

Other clues included my speedometer suddenly going from 0 to 120 and back and forth and some error codes P0715 and p1700.

P0715 and P1700 are about a bad signal coming from the transmission output shaft speed sensor.

Once daylight arrived and I made it out of the hills I climbed under the truck and found that the in-line speed sensor offset device I used to adjust the speedo for my 33s had two wires yanked out of the plug, so I removed it and plugged the sensor directly into the ECU. Reconnected the battery and had reverse and forward gears again in 4 Lo and 4 Hi. What a relief.

So here’s what I think:
When the ECU can’t measure the vehicle speed, or if the signal indicates a non-zero speed it won’t let the transmission engage reverse. You can put the lever in reverse but the transmission won’t go into reverse. The engine will rev but it stays in neutral or park.

Interestingly, if the output shaft sensor information is bad or not available the ECU will not allow forward gear engagement in 4 hi either. The engine won’t even rev up if you push the throttle. It just stays at idle. In 4 Lo it did work.

I am not sure how the wires got pulled out of the connector. It was a long night with a lot of slithery driving in very rutted roads. It’s quite possible that I did not leave enough play in the cables to handle enough flex and shift of the drive train, or I drove over something, or flinged some mud at it.

Either way I’m grateful that the fix was easy and post the experience to help any of you in the future. And maybe help me remember myself!

Plan is to fix the speed sensor adjuster cable and connector and replace it. I want to do it so the actual box and it’s buttons are accessible in the cab so I can adjust it more easily. Before you had to be under to adjust the real speed which seems like an unnecessary hassle. I’ll also protect the wires better with some more play.

Thanks for sharing your findings and glad you were able to assist with the evacuation. Keep up the good work!

Why are you evacuating people?

Good to hear that reverse won't engage while the vehicle is rolling! this is something I like about electrifying a car/truck! Same with auto breaking in forward or reverse!

Why are you evacuating people?
It was a pioneer trek reenactment in which the youth pushed hand carts over several miles through the hills near Globe AZ. Weather got out of hand and the place turned into a mud pit. Late on Wed night we decided that it was too bad to camp under make shift shelters (tarps and ropes) in a coral and started moving people from there to a church building in Globe. Evac started in earnest by 11:30 pm or so but only finished towards 5 am. The main forest road washed out in a coupes of places so it was down to A/4WD vehicles with high clearance in the end. Several recoveries needed as well. It all ended fine and the youth and their leaders were amazing. We even had folks coming up out of globe to help us, at 2 am on a weeknight!

It was a pioneer trek reenactment in which the youth pushed hand carts over several miles through the hills near Globe AZ. Weather got out of hand and the place turned into a mud pit. Late on Wed night we decided that it was too bad to camp under make shift shelters (tarps and ropes) in a coral and started moving people from there to a church building in Globe. Evac started in earnest by 11:30 pm or so but only finished towards 5 am. The main forest road washed out in a coupes of places so it was down to A/4WD vehicles with high clearance in the end. Several recoveries needed as well. It all ended fine and the youth and their leaders were amazing. We even had folks coming up out of globe to help us, at 2 am on a weeknight!
Epic , that's one way to learn / teach some solid lessons. It takes a smart person to know when to call it quits and GTFO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom