Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing to remember and one thing that sucks is your insurance company isn't gonna give 2 craps about your expensive landcruiser purchase ,Or any of its mods. My beloved 97 40th has a k.b.b value of $3500 or less. You gotta lock in a good insurance policy that will cover your ass if someone t bones you or it gets stolen and stripped . To get a stated value policy you gotta get a written vehicle appraisal that runs around $300 and try to find a policy that covers you best. I doubt a vehicle inspector will give you such a high insurance value. Maybe good to look into before you buy it as a bargaining tool? I have this problem with my 71 FJ40 thats pristine. All the mods n restoration I've done for 17 years on it and all the cash put into it will never equal anything near to what a insurance company values it at. I've yet to pony up $300 for an appraisal because I know it won't be good. Its a CHEVOTA

Update: Despite the sellers agreement to hold the vehicle for me until Sunday, he accepted someone else's deposit while that individual flew out of the country for a while. In hindsight, I cannot imagine why i didn't think to put down a deposit. I'm also somewhat disappointed that the seller didn't reach out to me since I was the first one he spoke to... You live and you learn!

Will continue my search expecting that the next cruiser I find will probably be much higher mileage in far worse condition. :dead:

Here is the listing:
Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser for Sale

Ive been following prices for clean ass 80s since I just bought one and I after seeing the ad I agree with your original value of around 18k for that. Those seats are mint though

@brosky it certainly is
Did you actually go look at it or was it a over the phone thing. I can't imagine test driving this, wanting it then driveing away with out living a deposit

Did you actually go look at it or was it a over the phone thing. I can't imagine test driving this, wanting it then driveing away with out living a deposit

Over the phone. I'm in Houston but the truck is in Dallas. I couldn't get up there before Sunday so he agreed to hold it for me till then since I was the first person that inquired. I told him I would bring cash to buy it if everything checked out.

Honestly, it sounds like the seller was extremely overwhelmed by the number of inquiries he got after me.

You can get a whole lotta truck for a whole lot less. Wouldn't even worry about it!

If a guy is after white / tan, this was a creampuff with what looked like sensible ROW/OE parts added, and top range aftermarket stuff. Even that knuckle pic looked like this one had seen a FAS (or it’s been detailed to death, and I don’t think that is the case).

The market is strong for any that haven’t broken 200K & have good maint records/provenances.

I’ll concede that securing funding for a 22yr old rig that KBB’s for 1/4-1/3 the trading price isn’t as easy as going to the Yota dealer & getting a “sign & drive” deal, but these 80’s are catching alot of attention from the well-heeled who would never be Mud members / worry about how to field $20K.

I see more nice ones in the ferry route out to the San Juan islands during tourist season now than 5-8yrs ago.

But I come from E30M3 world where things went flat insane ~5yrs back, and know guys who sold theirs during the initial ratchet in prices, regretting it later & esp now.

Cash is king, but the world will never raise your price for you - I bet the guy saw plenty of offers, the open market has spoken to the quickness this sold.

I could see this on BAT getting some easy $20K++ (and we might, never know).
Think what that market is, honestly Mud is great but guys who bought 80’s in the dip (think Obama term 1) -have a hard time seeing any of their own 80’s as $20K candidates anytime soon.
And alot aren’t with any body damage we call “use”.

@Shoulderleen - here’s a common 330K one if dirt, scuffs, dog hair, etc. -are more your lifestyle:

It’s no creampuff, but I doubt from the ad it was neglected. Owner seems 80 savvy, no affiliation.

Yep, that was a clean one. And in my opinion tastefully equipped.

No doubt....the person selling it was flooded with interested buyers, hence my prediction that someone would come along quickly and offer full asking price. This will be true in the Dallas and Houston markets EVERY time, and even in Austin to a lesser extent for vehicles of that caliber.

IF that vehicle was optioned/equipped in a way that you would have liked....then it is/was a stunning loss....as you won't find another that nice anytime soon (if ever). Alternately....IF it only represented a clean vehicle that also had 'mods' you really didn't care about or if you are bargain shopping, then it was never a contender to begin with, move on.

I can tell you from many years experience in the Texas Market....if you are Land Cruiser shopping (40's-80's-100's) you'd better have cash in hand, keep your eyes open and MOVE QUICKLY.

Hope you find one that you'll be happy with. Best of luck.

If a guy is after white / tan, this was a creampuff with what looked like sensible ROW/OE parts added, and top range aftermarket stuff. Even that knuckle pic looked like this one had seen a FAS (or it’s been detailed to death, and I don’t think that is the case).

The market is strong for any that haven’t broken 200K & have good maint records/provenances.

I’ll concede that securing funding for a 22yr old rig that KBB’s for 1/4-1/3 the trading price isn’t as easy as going to the Yota dealer & getting a “sign & drive” deal, but these 80’s are catching alot of attention from the well-heeled who would never be Mud members / worry about how to field $20K.

Think what that market is, honestly Mud is great but guys who bought 80’s in the dip (think Obama term 1) -have a hard time seeing any of their own 80’s as $20K candidates anytime soon.
And alot aren’t with any body damage we call “use”.

Big facts

The only detracting feature I saw on it....was the radiator had been replaced with an all metal one (possibly a CSF 2517) which works fine in mine....but some folks have had problems with. Aftermarket radiator cap as well, but everything else looked to be done well and top notch.

Don't beat yourself up. Find a moderately priced 80 with as low mileage as can be found and take the plunge. Don't look back. Get to know your rig, give her a name..you know wine and dine her. Then get to work to build her into YOUR truck and no one else's. You'll thank yourself later. Good luck!

I picked up a set of those Melville & Moon seat covers when we lived in Pretoria about a decade ago. Extremely well made and durable. Have really held up. Also picked up some great quality canvas tentage. What a fabulous and adventurous country South Africa is!

Noticed this one had the port installed roof rack. Glad mine doesn’t.

Hope you find an 80 soon. So many memories in mine!

Sorry to hear about the deal falling through. Another one will show up though.
@LINUS that's a decent rig you posted. If I was still looking, that would have garnered a test drive. (mmm. turbo potential)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom