Lost my transmission today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do believe the transfer case needed would have to be from a 91/92 FJ80. Starting in 93 the engine, transmission and transfer case changed. Maybe a FJ62 case would work to go to part time.

Still curious are you able to pull the transmission and tranfer case apart without taking the transfer apart? I wouldn't mind pulling the one out of my FJ62 and resealing it. Would be a lot easier to do than pulling both the transmission and transfer together.

Yeah, 91/92 only I believe. In 93 the vicsous coupler was introduce IIRC.

Yes, you can get the transfer out as a whole unit. The transfer is mated to the transmission via six bolts without a gasket or seal. The space between the two is a vented air space. My pictures don't show the mating area. Once you get the six bolts, breather lines, speedo cable, ground wire, 4 electrinic connectors and shifter linkage disconnected, it slides right off the transmission output shaft.

I used this thread as a guide:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/446639-removing-transfer-case-tc.html

In the first picture, you can see the vent holes between bolt holes 1 & 2 and 5 & 4. The FSM says you need to take the transmission and transfer case out as a unit. You don't as that thread shows and I was able to do as well.

I did not realize the teeth were plastic. That fluid level better be checked frequently

Those are not pastic. My comment was that the heat was so intense that they melted and shaved like plastic would. In any case, lesson learned, check the fluid at regular intervals as well as the drain plud tightness.

That picture is awesome. Those gears were red hot to deform that way. Thanks for posting and good luck with the swap over. Are you getting a master kit to rebuild the new "used" unit you found or are you just going to bolt it up?

Looks like someone had a rave in there with all that glitter going on.:D Thanks for posting up.:cheers: At least it isn't too expensive of a mistake and you found one for a good deal.:meh:

The price for someone else doing this for me scared the crap out of me. So I bucked up and took it out with a friend. Wasn't too bad. Makes it easier to stomach that kind of mistake. Still not all that cheap though. It would have been much cheaper to put the 1.4qts of gear oil in. :doh:

That picture is awesome. Those gears were red hot to deform that way. Thanks for posting and good luck with the swap over. Are you getting a master kit to rebuild the new "used" unit you found or are you just going to bolt it up?

I'm just going to bolt it up. I changed the oil in it tonight and it was a nice sight to see a full compliment come out and to see it was quite clean. The prior owner appeared to take good care of the truck before turning it in to the salvage yard.

The yard owner told me he thought about fixing the whole truck up and even drove it home and tested it out. He said everything was working great. Apparently, it was hit in the rear and had extensive hail damage so the insurance company totaled it. He decided it was too much work to get it back to looking nice. The whole drive train was in great shape and only had 102,000 miles. It's still a baby.

It goes in tomorrow night. I hope it's plug and play and I'll be able to test drive it tomorrow night. :steer:

Well if I can pull my transfer out without having to pull the tranny I probably do it. I've just made sure it been kept full of oil since I bought it in 93.

On the one you got the tranfer case from was the 3FE still there? I have a A440F transmission and split transfer case I bought from Tim H. in 1996 with 30K on it. Would like to mate it to a 3FE and put it in my FJ45.

Well if I can pull my transfer out without having to pull the tranny I probably do it. I've just made sure it been kept full of oil since I bought it in 93.

On the one you got the tranfer case from was the 3FE still there? I have a A440F transmission and split transfer case I bought from Tim H. in 1996 with 30K on it. Would like to mate it to a 3FE and put it in my FJ45.

No, the yard owner told me the 3FE went to a dealer in Utah.

So either the 91 and 92 have a different size transfer case or my truck was changed to a different one in the past. The new case is longer than the old one by about 2.5". The front drive shaft hooked up fine, but the rear part of the case was too long to get the rear shaft to mount. Everything bolted up and lined up perfectly otherwise.

Does the speedo gear ratio change the size of the case? The car-part.com choices are 11:1 and a 12:1 (31" tire). I picked up the 12:1 thinking that the small speedo gear at the end of the cable was the only difference and it should have been a closer match for the 315's I have on.

Not only is the case too big, but I can't get the diff lock to work to be able to drive it with the front shaft on. I was able to drive down the street and back but I could definately feel the center wasn't locked. The diff light never came on either.

Update: After taking the long case out, I was able to get it swapped for the correct one. The truck is finally back on the road after two weeks. My only issue that I'm experiencing is I'm not getting the diff lock light on the dash. The diff lock is working, but the light isn't working either when engaged or when I turn the key to "ON". I'm not getting the A/T Temp light in the "ON" position either. I'm guessing that I might have a sensor out on the new case or something happened to the wiring during the multiple r&r sessions. All the lights were working fine before the incedent.

What is the length of a 93-97 t-case? My 92 measured out at 18.5" rear drive flange to front drive flange. The first case I got measured 22" at the same spot. Is the difference the additionof the vc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom