Lost Cruiser - Hotel Toyota (rotm) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
geographical area known as canada, near ontario
it all started when i seen my buddys 4runner, and what it was capable of. also my younger brother was in with the local samurai guys and he was building up his 'turtle'. id go offroading with my buddys, who all had toyota mini truck and i really wanted to get into this, escpialy since im an avid outdoorsman and i really enjoy travelling.

anyways i wanted a truck and i saved up all my pennies and started looking. samurai was too small and all my buddys had toy mini trucks and i wanted something bigger (and badder). then i found out about the landcruiser :D and i researched and discovered the long tale of reliability and capability. so i narrowed my search to land cruisers but there is a limited market here, so i looked at some jdms but they had 13k price tags...anyway along one day is a 1989 FJ62 in the autotrader so i go and check it out. i took it for a test drive and was satisfied so we negotiate a price and i bought the truck a few weeks later. this was in march 2007.
the truck only had 2 bad rust spots and the rest of the body was clean, it came with full maintenance history records including some 20000$ worth of receipts. truck also had a nice warn12k which was a good selling feature.

this is the original ad picture
3741021.jpg

my boss at the time was a jeep guy and he just pt new tires on his truck so he sold me a set of 32x11.5 and i got some old 80's looking rims of a buddy of mine.

so like 3weeks after getting the cruiser i head up north for 4/20 weekend ;) and i get my first taste of offroading. where we end up going is like the top of a flat mountain. all rock and small forest, no mud. anyways the truck had obviously never seen any terrain like this so it was stiff has hell and all he weak points strated breaking. on that afternoon, a leaf spring broke at the eye, a t.r.e poped out, and i ri[pped my power antenae off :)

im the super cool looking dude leaning on the truck
DSC01679.jpg

this is the only picture of the truck with the power antenae
PA.jpg

the leaf broke at the shackle eye :S and those bungees are holding the tre in. i drove like this for a few months|(not advised)
trespring.jpg

this all happened at scotts cottage @ brandy lake, muskoka 4/20/2007
4202007.jpg

4202007-2.jpg

4202007-3.jpg

4202007-1.jpg

here are a couple more pics from april 2007 in burnt river

2007burnt-4.jpg

2007burnt-2.jpg

2007burnt-1.jpg

anyways i had a pretty damn good excuse to get some ome springs. so my brother gave the truck a brake job, and i ordered some tre's from ccot and swap them out. then i ordered old man emu extra heavys from cruiser outfitters'

BE|FORE
2007burnt-3.jpg

AFTER
afterlift.jpg

anyways i did the regular maintenance and the truck treated me well, i went off roading lots and for two years i opened the door, and inserted paychecks fixing every little thing and in aug 08 i do my first front axle rebuild.

one of the birfield were craked, it just happened that a buddy of mine did a sas on his 4runner and put in longfields, so theres a spare birf 10feet from where i do the rebuild. anyways it took all weekend!! i put new rotors, pads, calipers, all new bearings, marlin inner axle seals, learned how to make brake lines X4. i took the diff out to see how it works and put in a new gasket.

in now08 my power sterring pump went so i found a 91fj80 pump and swaped it. my tcase also was making funny noises so i ordered a rebvuild kit. I REBUILT THE TCASE IN the cold rain in a puddle and it took me 7days(nites). what a epic adventure. i also rebuilt the rear axle at the same time(new beraings/seals) and also put all new brake lines on the truck amd swapped out the rear diff cuz it was making funny noises too.

Last edited:
i had lots of project i wanted to outfit the truck with but gas prices were just killing me and right around that did i became ill with diesel-envy. i bought a 86hj60 march 2009 and upon inspection it had a huge whole in the frame so i went for it right away.

my buddy and brother rented a garage and started a shop ( Defiant 4wd). my buddy got sick too and bought a mercedes 300sd for his sas 4runner and we raced to see would would be done the swap first :D

album:
hj60 pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/274227-fj62-hj60-hj62-diesel-swap.html

4runner:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...-mercedes-5cyl-turbo-diesel-stock-5speed.html

forsalemarch2008.jpg

forsalemarch2010.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

2h
IMG_3647.jpg

i coverted the truck to 24v
IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

new frame tabs my brother did an excelent weld job
IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3614-1.jpg

IMG_3613-1.jpg

did a little body work, slaped some por15 here and there
IMG_3615-1.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

Last edited:
rebuilt the tcase 3times ;)
IMG_3657.jpg

worked the exhause and new fuel tank
IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

4runner with mercedes turbo diesel w/custom adapter plate for the w56
IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

my brother was putting on my tires, front bumper and rear flat bed, then when he was all done he went and rolled the truck across the street...
IMG_3635-1.jpg

IMG_3633-1.jpg

IMG_3643-1.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

the second its said and done
Image0003.jpg

Image061.jpg

TristansCamera075.jpg

Last edited:
summer 2008 vacation in quebec

R003-005.jpg

R003-012.jpg

R003-015.jpg

R003-016.jpg

R002-019.jpg

R003-004.jpg

R002-017.jpg

R002-021.jpg

R003-003.jpg

R003-011.jpg

same vacation but in callabogie:
R001-001.jpg

one in front of my old house
R001-002.jpg

hydrolocked:
R001-010.jpg

R001-009.jpg

so this happened
Image027.jpg

before:
R001-011.jpg

after:
R001-005.jpg

why:
R001-006.jpg

Great pics. Story line is a bit difficult to follow...but glad you posted.

So, towards the end of your pics...the Jimmy...you junked it because of a hydrolock ??

And what is the story behind the red 'Runner ? Crossing the stream it looks fairly intact. Then major damage. Got to be a good story there.

You did a whole bunch of work, the 62 looks great. How is it doing now ?

John

Wow that is a lot of work over the truck.

its alot of truck for the work ;)

Great pics. Story line is a bit difficult to follow...but glad you posted.

So, towards the end of your pics...the Jimmy...you junked it because of a hydrolock ??

And what is the story behind the red 'Runner ? Crossing the stream it looks fairly intact. Then major damage. Got to be a good story there.

You did a whole bunch of work, the 62 looks great. How is it doing now ?

John

the damage on the red 4runner was caused by the jimmy pushing it onto the trailer.

the jimmy had a lot of problems with it, including the hydrolock.

as for my machine,
i still use the truck almost everyday, but since the soa, i think i have to retire it as a dd.

and sorry i suck at telling stories..

Last edited:
june 2009
june2009 farm pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

swift rapids swift rapids 2009 pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

my buddy zaldi, with a bj80 and i went off roading to some trail that he wanted to show me near swift rapid in ontario here.
that deep hole below, i am stuck in. something happed to the alternator belt causing it to slide off the pulley and it got damaged. i had a spare set of belts so i did a trail side 3-belt change. it was pissing down rain and the mosquitos were killer. i hurried my ass and it only took me 20mins. zaldi had brought a bunch of his family with him and they were all worried the truck was broken but we showed them how its done. they were amazed how zaldi and i were so calm and just fixed the problem real quick :D. this was a nice day trip

thats a civic.
P5280091.jpg

P5280087.jpg
P5280089.jpg

DSC_5185.jpg

DSC_5207.jpg

DSC_5221.jpg

DSC_5227.jpg

DSC_5235.jpg

DSC_5230.jpg

next weekend...:

this was a pretty wild weekend, the truck did awesome, but when it got stuck in that hole, the radiator got caked with mud and the it started overheating. i did a small write up in the expedition forum https://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-events-expeditions/290966-what-long-weekend-june2009.html

burnt
P6190121.jpg

P6200174.jpg

P6190122.jpg

P6190154.jpg

P6190157.jpg

P6220181.jpg

Last edited:
upper canada land cruiser run

since i was pretty into land cruisers by now, i had met all the local cruiser heads and had gone to a couple of the uclc club meets and a trip was setup near parry with some 8 cruisers from all over the province. i had 235's and being the smallest tires out there i got stuck quite a few times. but then again so did everyone else. it was a great experience and good time to practice recovery skills. the trail we did had some pretty nasty holes and at the end the trail just ran into a bog that looked 10feet deep. we all camped at one the guys(jeremy's) cottage, chilled out and talked cruisers all weekend. doesnt get any better.

thread
https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-upper-canada-land-cruisers/289194-june2009-uclc-run-pics.html

june2009 uclc run pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket
june2009 uclc run 2 pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

Image019.jpg

Image033.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image063.jpg

Image069.jpg

DSC_5307.jpg

DSC_5349.jpg

DSC_5360.jpg

DSC_5366.jpg

DSC_5374.jpg

Last edited:
aug 2009.

i didnt have my camera with me for farmstock, but its another party we organise in burnt river where we have a stage, bands. every goes offroading and we party at nite :) it was quite the epic weekend this years and everyone got super stuck except me on the trail. i ended up rescuing all the trucks in this imposible hole were we stuck 2 truck beside each other
here where the pics are at https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-upper-c...rm-stock-bobcaygeon-run-aug-long-weekend.html

sept 2009 labour day weekend

it think i was hung over the main day all the trucks did a run, but later some guy showed up with a jeep and i know this great trail in bobcaygeon, so we headed over. the jeep did really well even at one point going up and over a really nasty rockhill which i wouldnt even try.

sept2009 labor day burnt pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

100_2239.jpg

100_2271.jpg

100_2280.jpg

oct 2009 tanksgiving run with the cruiser guys

a couple weeks later some of the land cruiser guys came down to burnt river for the weekend and we did the same trail as above. but i ended up blowing 2 of my tires on this rock...so the trip was cut short as someone had to go get some spare tires.(thanks mike ;) ).
we only did half the trail but it was still good times. theres a thread in the uclc forum about the weekend with all the pics.

thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-upper-canada-land-cruisers/319378-thanksgiving-run.html

album:
thanksgiving2009toyotarun pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

PA090182.jpg

PA090121.jpg

PA090145.jpg

PA090158.jpg

PA090153.jpg

PA090167.jpg

PA090170.jpg

PA090176.jpg

nov09
the very next weekend, mike|(moose) and i went back and conquered the trail, both with no cameras :D :D :D

later nov09

wayne(crushers) invites everyone over for a day run near his place to test out his new pz-78. we hit up the local sand pt then go over to a decent trail down the road. https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-upper-canada-land-cruisers/332873-day-run-nov-28-a-2.html

hj62mud.jpg

Last edited:
Really good pics. Looks like a club thats gets after it !

John

Really good pics. Looks like a club thats gets after it !

John

thanks dude, i got some many pictures from adventures...too much to post. the club is pretty cool. its good to be in the clubs for networking and knowledge. and offroading :D

==================

when i was done the spring over heres the first hole i tested here out in...twice :D (april or march 2010)

then i went up to muskoka and did a couple days of ofroading.
i forgot my camera and no one posted anything of this wekend :S

420-2010-4.jpg

next weekend mike(moose) invited me to his cottage near lake ligham and we explored the trailed around there.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-upper-canada-land-cruisers/379223-weekend-23-24-25-april.html

album:
April2010 south of bancroft near lake lingnham pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

i installed a snorkel last week, i got to find my camera and go take some pics.

Last edited:
beauty rig! looks like its loved too and thats what matters

Awesome post! I love the story, the build pics, and the trip pics. Cool truck too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom