Loss of Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 80 just over a year and it doesn't seem to have the power that it did when I first got it. Actually I have proof its not all it should be. I raced tooth fairy before he went back to Denver and he spanked me. Same lift and tires, he was carrying more balast and has 100,000 more miles than mine.

I'm not getting any fault codes. I did plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, all from cdan.
My only other symptoms are very low idle and soot in the tail pipe.

93FZJ80 Unknown service history.
285's

Help, Jay

Air filter or could be plugged up cats or muffler.

My bet is on air filter, but on second thought, could be the fuel filter, but the soot in the tail pipe points to not enough air. Check the air filter first, then the throttle body for carbon buildup, then check the timing.

I hope this helps,
Dan

Dan,

Air filter, Not likely it hasn't been that many miles since I put it in.
Fuel filter, Good possibility for all I know could be the one installed in Japan.
Throttle body carbon, Clean when I installed the air filter but worth another look.
Timing, Good place to start I haven't checked it.

Good suggestions, I guess I should start with the timing since it's free and then attack the fuel filter.

Thanks, and greetings from the other end of the state.

Jay

The more I think about this, the more it stinks like restricted exhaust. I hope that isn't the case, I've heard that its kinda expensive to replace. Let us know what you figure out.

You might also check your tranny fluid to see what it looks like, and make sure the ebrake isn't sticking. I reread your post, and saw the part about the low idle. I have seen quite a few threads addressing that so it might be worthwhile to search using low idle as keywords.
Good Luck,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom