Loss of power/ overheat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey cruiser heads, my 1970 fj40 is not sitting pretty. I posted a thread a few days ago regarding some weird carb stuff, and one of my problems was fixed by plugging in the idle soleniod. However, there is still something wrong. Currently the mixture screw still does not change anything, even when running. Also when i driove it up the driveway to get back in the garage, i had to rev the piss out of it. After only 10 minutes of running and going up the driveway, it overheated.

I do need to replace the clutch, as there is hardly any left. Could that be a problem, being that you have to give it more gas to overpass the lack of clutch?

Could it also be a bad carb? Help.

Andrew

If you only needed adjustment on your clutch pedal or hydraulic system that has changed to needing a full clutch replacement. That includes resurfacing the fly wheel provided the surface doesn't have spider cracks. Then you'll need a replacement. Solution to a slipping clutch disc is not rev the engine RPM higher.

If you only needed adjustment on your clutch pedal or hydraulic system that has changed to needing a full clutch replacement. That includes resurfacing the fly wheel provided the surface doesn't have spider cracks. Then you'll need a replacement. Solution to a slipping clutch disc is not rev the engine RPM higher.
Interesting. I have my replacement clutch ready, but i have been waiting to install until the car ran. Which she still is not running right.

Non of that should make it over heat. Check your coolant level. Water pump could be bad, thermostat stuck, radiator could be plugged up. Probably a good time to replace those items if sitting for a long time. The cooling system I'd very simple on these. I don't think a 70 has a fan clutch but if so that could Be an issue.

Non of that should make it over heat. Check your coolant level. Water pump could be bad, thermostat stuck, radiator could be plugged up. Probably a good time to replace those items if sitting for a long time. The cooling system I'd very simple on these. I don't think a 70 has a fan clutch but if so that could Be an issue.
Good idea. We have a brand new water pump on it and i belive radiator is in good shape. And we have good coolant level. The previous owner had been driving it, so the car hasnt been sitting. I will check up on the thermostat.

An yea, no fan clutch

If you get it up to temp then kill the engine, feel around for cold spits on the radiator. If you have some then you may have an issue with sludge in your radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom