loss of power, low idle, horrible gas mileage help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1990 4runner 3.slow. suddenly I've got a huge loss of power it will barely do 70 on the freeway. I'm getting about 12mpg and its got an idle around 400rpm and a rumble. Have no idea where to start. Help please

Oxygen sensor could cause lack of power and bad mpgs.

Vacuum leak could cause it as well.

First, the FSM: 1990 to 1995 Toyota 4Runner OEM Repair and Wiring Manuals Look for the troubleshooting sections.

Rough running, how so?

How does the exhaust smell when the engine is cold? If it smells like gas, then it could be not firing on a cylinder of two. Check the spark plugs, wires and rest of the ignition system. Note: You will only be able to smell gas in the exhaust before the catalytic converter gets heated up and starts working.

Valve timing may be off, the timing belt may have skipped a tooth or two on one side.

EGR system failures can also cause rough running. To much exhaust gas recirculation and you could also get unburnt gas and poor fuel mileage.

Check the catalytic converter to see if it is plugged up. The rumble tells me this may not be so.

Basics

Before you start checking all components please find yourself a good working vacuum gauge and see what the gauge tells you and go from there.it will tell you if the problem is mechanical or something else then go check all the basic components like plugs,dist cap,rotor etc. its so easy to jump the gun and start replace things that may not repair the problem. just my suggestion.:D

John

Thats right, viper.

however besides all of that I would advise you to inspect the fuel system.

check pressure and flow, ie; new fuel filter and use a gauge to test for pressure via banjo bolt

im going to start at the filter, check mechanical type stuff, vacuum then go electrical thanks for the help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom