Loss of power after replacing fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently broke down trying to come home from a trip about 7 hours away. I was in the middle of the trip and my fuel pump went out with no mechanic in site until the next day.

Long story short: the only things replaced were the fuel pump, fuel filter, and secondary fuel strainer. Also, the injectors were cleaned.

After getting it back and driving another 4 hours home, I quickly noticed that my truck had a loss of power. It seems to go into the rough zone between 55/75mph. The best way I can describe it is that it’s just not running smoothly.

At idle, it does it just the same with the shuddering of power being lost. Stopping and going also give me an absolute anxiety attack as it accelerates slightly rougher and with less power until I get to speed.

After reading through the forums, I think it might have something to do with my coil packs or spark plugs. Either that, or the Firestone incorrectly installed the fuel pump and it’s not receiving enough fuel.

the last one is the besst example—click the link

here’s some videos of it:

Pt 3 LC Possible Misfire

The only thing I can deduce from your vids is that you have an exhaust leak (probably manifold) and a pulley bearing about to die. Do you have any DTCs?

Do you have a firestone nearby, I would start with getting your rig to them before throwing other misc. parts at it.

Does sound like some kind of exhaust leak or misfiring happening as well maybe?

Do you have a firestone nearby, I would start with getting your rig to them before throwing other misc. parts at it.

Does sound like some kind of exhaust leak or misfiring happening as well maybe?

there is definitely and exhaust leak, but this was present before the trip to Firestone

We’re you (or whoever did the install) able to put back the rubber o-ring seal from the old fuel pump to the new fuel pump?

what is a DTC?
Diagnostic Trouble Codes. In other words, is your check engine light on and, if so, what are the codes? Any misfire will be accompanied by a DTC.

Also, are you referring to both the tensioner and idler pulley?
Yes, along with the other pulleys: alternator, fan bracket, etc... There’s a distinct sound of bearing squeal/chirp in your videos that indicates one of the drive belt pulleys has a bad bearing.

What is your model year?

> Was the correct fuel pump installed? What part# and brand part did they use
>You said "injectors were cleaned"- They removed the injectors and sent them out for service? Or you mean they put some additive to your gas tank- and now your truck runs like crap? What was the additive?

While I would also be inclined to also say that those are coilpack symptoms, they are actually just misfire symptoms. It easily COULD be a coil pack. It's odd that you don't have a misfire code yet, regardless. If you take the vehicle out and accelerate, brake, and accelerate a few times you should get it to throw a code. You can also hook up a cheap scanner and have it look for all anomalies.

Since you just had your fuel system gone through I would default to the work that was just done.

Starting with easiest first and moving from there, I would check your injectors to make sure:
A. They attached all of the harnesses
B. They didn't cut or tear one of the wires out on the harness (give them a tug)

I recently broke down trying to come home from a trip about 7 hours away. I was in the middle of the trip and my fuel pump went out with no mechanic in site until the next day.

Long story short: the only things replaced were the fuel pump, fuel filter, and secondary fuel strainer. Also, the injectors were cleaned.

After getting it back and driving another 4 hours home, I quickly noticed that my truck had a loss of power. It seems to go into the rough zone between 55/75mph. The best way I can describe it is that it’s just not running smoothly.

At idle, it does it just the same with the shuddering of power being lost. Stopping and going also give me an absolute anxiety attack as it accelerates slightly rougher and with less power until I get to speed.

After reading through the forums, I think it might have something to do with my coil packs or spark plugs. Either that, or the Firestone incorrectly installed the fuel pump and it’s not receiving enough fuel.

the last one is the besst example—click the link

here’s some videos of it:

Pt 3 LC Possible Misfire

Could be fuel starvation. One thing may help determine if low fuel flow/pressure. Pinch off return fuel line. If RPM go up, it indicates low fuel flow/pressure. Edited: Pinching could damage line!

But perhaps your fuel pump was not the issue in first place. Sounds in video, like you've multiple issue.

One which may be spark plug walking out. They sound just like exhaust leak. You may have one or more ready to blow out of head. If one has blown, you'd have a check engine light. The squeaky sound may indeed be fan belt, its idler pulley bearing and or tensioner pulley bearing. But may have to do with engine laboring to keep running, and may also have to do with cooling issue.

I'd check coolant level by removing the radiator cap early in the morning, after 8 hour cool down. Make sure vehicle level or even better, front end higher than rear.

Then I check each spark plug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom