Losing Power Uphill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 1992 HDJ-81 while in Japan and recently had it imported to Hawaii. Since I’ve gotten it, my injection pump busted and 1 of my injectors blew.

As a result I have had the following done:
1. Injection pump professionally rebuilt to factory standards
2. New timing belt put on
3. All new injectors installed

Since I have had it back on the road, I lose all power going up hill or under load.

Any suggestions of what it could be? Could it be a lack of fuel?

5755EAAF-10BE-4A41-B0BD-9F3489CA4D76.jpeg

Check fuel line connections. Your primer should stiffen up after a couple of pumps. If primer stays soft you have a problem.
A length of clear hose from filter to the IP should show clear fuel and not a lot of air bubbles.

Did you time the IP to the engine when installing?

You cannot just reinstall an IP. It needs to be retimed to the engine on installation— especially after rebuild. The rebuilder should have correctly timed the IP itself internally.

Most likely the reason why you have no power under load.

Did you time the IP to the engine when installing?

You cannot just reinstall an IP. It needs to be retimed to the engine on installation— especially after rebuild. The rebuilder should have correctly timed the IP itself internally.

Most likely the reason why you have no power under load.
We did re-time during the installation. I ordered that special timing tool. My mechanic did that portion of the repair, I might have go back and check it again to make sure he got it right.

We did re-time during the installation. I ordered that special timing tool. My mechanic did that portion of the repair, I might have go back and check it again to make sure he got it right.

Yeah, definitely takes a few times to get it right. At least it does for me. It’s also a super tight fit back there on the pump with the lines coming in.

I replaced all filters (fuel, oil, air, transmission) about one year ago
Great. Although it’s rarely the root cause on a gasser 80 I had a diesel cruiserhead friend mention it was somewhat common for those of you who aren’t spark plug-dependent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom