Losing Motivation To Keep My 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had it for about a year now. This is the 6th Cruiser that my family has had (currently have a 40, 62, and an 80), but I am very tempted to sell it. It's a 96 with 260k on it. The gas is killing me and it's had a chronic EGR problem. I love Cruisers but it's a bit tempting to sell and just get a normal car - something quick, new, and fuel efficient, although I hate the idea of having a car payment.

Has anyone felt this way before? What do y'all think?

I have a 2015 Audi s4 manual and while it's a fast fun car with all the accoutrements expected of a German luxury car I find myself grabbing the cruisers keys more.

The Audi feels sterile like a hospital room. The 80 has so much more soul and character.

Keep it and find a beater to make your daily driver. The Cruiser is our third vehicle for emergency, weekend, camping, etc.. My daily driver is a 2013 GTI. I really the best of both worlds. If the Cruiser has a problem, I don't mind letting it sit for a few weekends until I can fix it.

I will add this. While my wife was not a fan of purchasing a 17 year old vehicle with 213K miles a few years ago, she has completely changed her tone and LOVES having the Cruiser now. If there is even a chance of heavy rain or snow, she will grab the keys before I can.

Keep it and find a beater to make your daily driver.

That's what I did. I've got a beater Subaru Justy (it's even 4x4!) gets 30mpg cost me $1k. It's nice because it makes it real easy to take my time with the land cruiser & do things right.

I much prefer driving my acura TL. Better mileage, way faster, way safer, more comfortable, etc. Dont delude yourself about an 80 series.

As with others, 80 is not my only vehicle. I also bought a 96' E-class for $3500 (+plus some repairs) as my DD for 9 months out of the year.

Just want to point out that you don't have to get a Civic if you want a second vehicle that doesn't suck.

I've had it for about a year now. This is the 6th Cruiser that my family has had (currently have a 40, 62, and an 80), but I am very tempted to sell it. It's a 96 with 260k on it. The gas is killing me and it's had a chronic EGR problem. I love Cruisers but it's a bit tempting to sell and just get a normal car - something quick, new, and fuel efficient, although I hate the idea of having a car payment.

Has anyone felt this way before? What do y'all think?
Sinner. :flipoff2:

I have a pretty killer pickup that I had been using as a daily driver before I got my '92 LC. 2011 Nissan Titan with the Pro4X offroad package, Rockford Fosgate sound system that's pretty nice (for a factory setup), low miles, all the fancy interior crap, etc. However, for normal daily driving, I ALWAYS take the Land Cruiser.

I 100% agree with the others. Keep the Land Cruiser. Do whatever it takes to keep it. And definitely get a beater to have as a backup vehicle. It's amazing what you can get for a couple grand. I would recommend an older Subaru Outback or Legacy. They have a cult like following almost like the Land Cruisers and they have a lot of factory and aftermarket support. They are incredible in poor weather, get good gas mileage, they're very reliable, and very simple to work on. They have their flaws, but no vehicle at that price point is perfect...

IMG_0833.jpeg

I don't have enough money (and won't for a while) to justify having two vehicles.

All the more reason to ditch it. If you are financially constrained the 80 is not a prudent vehicle to own as a primary dd.

I'm planning on selling my audi. 80 series, 200 and perhaps an E39 5 series will be my chariots moving forward.

The mystique and manly factor of having the greatest series of vehicles on the planet is strong. You have driven the 40 and 60 series. Land Cruiser is a brand synonymous with quality and longevity. Safety for a 1997 pales in comparison to the newer vehicles on the road. Even a Kia has more air bags and crumple zones than a 20 year old land cruiser. Am I saying I want a Kia, heck no. Do I daily drive a Camry, heck ya. Is my truck in a thousand pieces right now because it was using more oil than gas, heck ya. Will I sell the Camry in a few years, yes. Will I sell the Land Cruiser, hopefully not. Hoards of Land Cruiser owners have sold, only to warn us of the impending longing and need to replace the cruiser sooner than later. The EGR issue is one of cleaning, testing, and replacing one of many parts that have to work together. I have been able to go from a :banana: shade tree mechanic to a :banana::banana: shade tree mechanic who only has #6:beer: after the job is complete due to this forum. Yes, I have thought of getting rid of my current land cruiser because at times the ongoing maintenance seems overwhelming or one issue pops up as soon as I fix another problem. I hope I don't get rid of her. My opinion, however lame, is still my opinion. Keep her and buy a daily driver. The gas money I save has taken care of the monthly payment on the Camry.

A 21 year old truck with 260k and persistent mechanical issues, that gets 10mpg all day long, being used as a daily, does not sound like a well executed strategic plan for someone on a limited budget. I'm prepared for the flaming, but truth is, if you have limited resources, an 80 is likely to cost you more than a modest car payment. You need to make smart financial decisions, and if the 80 is an albatross, cut it loose.

If you just want the cheapest transpo to commute in, and you aren't driving that far that often, you might take a look at some of the EV's out there. Granted you are in Texas so options might be limited, but I am leasing a Chevy Spark EV for a whopping $87/month. That's like half of what my wife and my cell bill is per month. They pretty much need zero maintenance so it is almost like having a free car. It works well if you treat like it a motorcycle with 4 doors in that it has limited range, is small, etc... but saves lots of extra dough to dump into my cruiser.

Just a thought.

Frank

A 21 year old truck with 260k and persistent mechanical issues, that gets 10mpg all day long, being used as a daily, does not sound like a well executed strategic plan for someone on a limited budget. I'm prepared for the flaming, but truth is, if you have limited resources, an 80 is likely to cost you more than a modest car payment. You need to make smart financial decisions, and if the 80 is an albatross, cut it loose.
Couldn't agree more. If you are struggling to fill the tank that means there's no money there for maintenance which = riding it into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom