SOLD Los Angeles, 1990 Land Cruiser HZJ75 (G-turbo, poptop, LHD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
green
Outside Link
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1990-lhd-toyota-hzj75-poptop-turbo-diesel-50-000-obo-los-angeles-ca.223368/#post-2901343
$50,000 OBO
Bring a Trailer didn't quite end up the way I was hoping. Bit of a wild goose chase with the Buyer so I'm here offering my beloved troopy, again. Here it is:

This 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ75 is a left-hand drive that was originally used as an ambulance in Colombia, where I purchased it from a firefighters union four years ago. A subsequent body-off refurbishment by 40s Garage outside of Bogotá was completed in 2018 and included a custom pop-top camper conversion, a repaint in Nebula green, and installation of a fully rebuilt (top and bottom end) 4.2-liter 1HZ inline-six with ceramic-coated pistons and 1HD-T connecting rods (Engine Australia Kit). Additional equipment includes a five-speed H151F manual transmission, a two-speed transfer case, a Dana 60 rear differential with chromoly axles, custom bumpers and rock sliders, a snorkel, a 3″ exhaust system with resonator, Recaro seats, solar panels and a custom camper build out. An Australian Gturbo Green Wheel turbocharger kit was installed in 2020 along with an Auburn Instruments Pre-EGT gauge and AFR gauge, an aftermarket Alpine 4 speaker, 3 channel amp sound system and replacement tie rod ends. The air conditioning system was also installed to run R134a refrigerant using a new Nippon Denso compressor and all new components (ice cold). This 70-series Land Cruiser was imported to the US in March 2019 and is now offered with a clean California title in my name.

The truck was repainted in Nebula Green following rust repairs to the left rear quarter panel, and was fitted with new windows and seals throughout. The custom pop-top features a Sunbrella canvas tent as well as two Renogy 100-watt solar panels connected to a Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 15AH charge controller and Blue Seas fuse panel, 2 fast charging USB stations and 3 Blue Seas 12v sockets. Additional accessories include a custom front bumper with recovery points and brush guards, a rear bumper fabricated with a swing-out tire carrier and a receiver hitch, rock sliders with side steps, a snorkel, a high-lift jack mount, Quadratec LED headlamps, a 50″ light bar, GXL heavy-duty mirrors, and window tint film.

Black 15″ steel wheels wear 33″x12.50″ Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, including dual spares mounted to the rear end. The truck features Old Man Emu shocks and power-assisted front disc brakes. 4 Tires are at 90% and 2 are at 100%. The power steering system was rebuilt at time of restoration, while the tie rod ends were replaced and the parking brake adjusted in December 2020.

The passenger compartment is fitted with Recaro sport seats, a pair of Sunbrella covers for which will accompany the truck. The replacement main instrument cluster includes a tachometer, a fuel gauge, and an odometer showing 27k kilometers (~16k miles). Original mileage is unknown. Oil pressure and turbo boost gauges are mounted the A-pillar and a pre-turbo EGT gauge to the right of the steering wheel.

The cargo area houses a custom camping setup comprised of a fold-out bed, storage drawers, an Engel refrigerator, and a sliding table. An Alpine double-DIN stereo was fitted along with an amplifier and four speakers.

The 4.2-lilter 1HZ-T inline-six was installed during the Colombian refurbishment and was rebuilt with ceramic-coated 1HZ-T pistons, 1-HDT connecting rods, a replacement crankshaft, and rebuilt injectors and injection pump. A non-intercooled Gturbo Green Wheel turbocharger kit was fitted in 2020. Additional modifications consist of a 1-HDT crossover pipe, a new radiator, 100Ah deep-cycle batteries, a Blue Sea Systems fuse block, and a 3″ straight-pipe exhaust with a resonator.

Power is sent through a five-speed H151F manual transmission, a two-speed transfer case, and replacement driveshafts. The semi-floating Dana 60 rear differential feature a replacement pinion gear and Dutchman chromoly axles from ProGear San Diego. An extended-range fuel tank has been installed, but is not yet connected.

fj8.jpg
fj7.jpg
fj1.jpg
fj3.jpg

Photos:
Google Drive

Videos:
Cold Start
Driving
Walk Through

fj12.jpg

GLWTS! I saw the result on BAT, was shocked it didn't end up much higher. Stunning looking Troopy, that color is amazing.

I might, and that's a big might, have someone that is interested in this truck. He actually is looking for one to take down to Panama where he plans on purchasing a home to explore the jungles. Im going to reach out to him and share these photos. Does the truck have A/C?

Last edited:
Yes, it has a brand new Nippon Denso AC system installed 3 weeks ago

The poptop design was custom. We couldn't fit the hinges in the front without them being in the way. Also, the roof is not straight so the bed had no way of fitting in the front with the entrance at the back without raising the roof significantly. The goal was to get as stock of a set up as possible. @coldtaco

The poptop design was custom. We couldn't fit the hinges in the front without them being in the way. Also, the roof is not straight so the bed had no way of fitting in the front with the entrance at the back without raising the roof significantly. The goal was to get as stock of a set up as possible. @coldtaco

Thanks for the explanation

Bring a Trailer didn't quite end up the way I was hoping. Bit of a wild goose chase with the Buyer so I'm here offering my beloved troopy, again. Here it is:
Well BAT and winning bidder says that you wouldn't sell it because you forgot or BAT forgot to put a reserve on it which earned you a permanent ban on BringATrailer.

I don't even really look at BaT so I didn't realize it was on there.

Sounds like BaT suggested a reserve price and seller agreed only to regret it later.

I'm the winner of the auction... and I don't feel like it was much of a goose hunt since we agreed to meet in the same week of me winning the auction. I had bought my flight ticket to LA and had the funds ready prior to me going offshore for work. I only hit you up again to possibly pick it up at a later date, if I got a call to catch a helicopter to work sooner than we agreed on.

I find it weird that the seller wouldn't share the bill of sale and title (which was too blurry for some loan officers that pulled hard credit checks on me) prior to sale (BaT recommends getting these two documents after winning an auction prior to any money exchange), but seller wouldn't share the bill of sale until proof of funds, and that probably would have sped up the credit union process. Regardless, I am offshore right now in the GoM, or else I would have chimed in sooner.

I also saw his goofy weirdo response on expeditionportal or whatever other forums/sites he listed his truck for sale on. I have a mortgage on a home, but I guess I must be too young to buy the troopy lol... good for the seller to milk a higher price out of a sick rig (though glad @totoro won't be on BaT anymore to play with serious buyers time/money)

I am still waiting on BaT to send my fee money back... I will be hesitant to bid on future rigs on that BaT now due to the unnecessary headache that left a sour taste in my mouth especially when internet is a pain to come by for me at the moment.

Trying to get CU financing on a 30 year old imported truck from out of state. What could possibly go wrong?
I think it is ok to do with a reputable seller who is patient with the approval process of getting a loan. Like land cruisers direct. Otherwise I wouldn’t do it.

My point is that you don't win an auction and then put the burden of trying to get your loan approved on the seller (unless arrangements were made prior to winning where the seller is aware).

Last edited:
I think it is ok to do with a reputable seller who is patient with the approval process of getting a loan. Like land cruisers direct. Otherwise I wouldn’t do it.

My point is that you don't win an auction and then put the burden of trying to get your loan approved on the seller (unless arrangements were made prior to winning where the seller is aware).
My guy, I got the money 48 hours later. Not like I was going to give him the money sight unseen. He was out of town til the weekend anyways, and regardless it seems he scored a higher sale!

My guy, I got the money 48 hours later. Not like I was going to give him the money sight unseen. He was out of town til the weekend anyways, and regardless it seems he scored a higher sale!

My apologies. I will step out of this now. It really is a private matter between you and him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom