loosing all my coolant!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would cause my overflow to start dumping coolant all of a sudden. This HaS happened twice in a week. Its a 91 with 240k

What would cause my overflow to start dumping coolant all of a sudden. This HaS happened twice in a week. Its a 91 with 240k

Unusual on your engine, but exhaust gas in coolant system (blown headgasket) would pressurize the system, dumping coolant into the overflow.

Or maybe the coolant is growing up and getting bigger

Did the head gasket about 10k miles ago and it shows no other signs

Overheating? A blockage in plumbing?

No overheating according to stock gauge cap would be nice I'll check that

^^^^^^^^^^^^x2

Of side interest: what are you using for coolant and how old is it?

There are limited possibilities. You are getting pressure somewhere from the inside, assuming your rad does not leak and your hoses are good and tight.

1) You are getting exhaust gases into the cooling system, which means cracked head, cracked block or bad head gasket. You can test for that with a kit or have it tested easily.

2) You are getting air into the system from the outside, most likely through the rad cap when the system cools down and the rad cap lets air by instead of filling the void with coolant from the overflow.

3) You are getting your coolant to boil, which could happen due to bad circulation (bad water pump) or insufficient pressure (bad rad cap).

I woud start with a new OEM rad cap.

cheers,
Jan

Well good news after my princess got him home it turned out to be a lower radiator hose.... I feel dumb. The reason I didn't go there cause I replaced all my hoses with new from Mr t less than a year ago. Luckily I still kept my old one for a spare. It was weird cause it leaked Saturday then not again till today but was driven everyday that's what made me believe it was the overflow

This after I stuck my finger through it

ForumRunner_20130904_185716.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_185716.jpg

Looks like an over tightened clamp too close to the edge.
It's a happy problem though!
Cheers
Jan

Glad to see it wasn't anything more serious!

Yep as much of a pain as it was. I was still glad to see it. Thanks guys

That's unusual for a toyota hose to go that soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom