loosening and tightening LX450/80 series panhard and radius arm bolts and nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i found this topic confusing and these have high torque values so loosening them can be tricky. also if they are a little rusted or whatever it can get difficult fast.
anyway the way i finally understood this is that on the panhard bolts there are two with nuts and you loosen and tighten the nuts not the bolts. the nuts are not staked so loosen as you would normally with the nuts.
in two cases for the panhards there are only bolts since the nut is welded on the other side (the ones with no nuts are the upper bolt on the left side in the rear and the lower bolt on the right side in the front). so obviously loosen the bolt head.
on the radius arms the nuts are staked and you can't remove the nuts. so you remove all the radius arm bolts from the bolt head. all of the bolts get inserted from "outside to inside" so all the radius arm bolts are tightened and loosened "from the outside".
this is particularly confusing since the FSM shows washers under the nuts on the inside of the frame. there are no washers here. these are flanged nuts and they are staked at the bottom. so tighten or loosen the bolt head instead.
below is a picture of the flanged staked nuts in the radius arms. again there aren't any of these on the panhards.

75F81B96-D5F3-4203-9AA8-A14DF22FFD30.png

086247A1-106B-4F07-818A-BFA94EFAC32C.jpeg

5D6A21A1-2500-48B5-85E1-400E0B5AD078.jpeg

Last edited:
That is not correct, I cannot remember the correct order but some of the radius arm bolts should be torqued from the bolt head and the others should be torqued from the nut side. Basically for the radius arm hardware the fronts and the rears are different. You can tell by looking at the hardware.

My best recollection/guess is that the rear bolt should be tightened from the bolt head and the fronts should be tightened from the nut side.

That is not correct, I cannot remember the correct order but some of the radius arm bolts should be torqued from the bolt head and the others should be torqued from the nut side. Basically for the radius arm hardware the fronts and the rears are different. You can tell by looking at the hardware.

My best recollection/guess is that the rear bolt should be tightened from the bolt head and the fronts should be tightened from the nut side.
that might be correct.
i kind of went by the diagram on those two at the frame in the back which is probably a bad idea. i need to check.
but i am pretty sure that they are all tightened or loosened from the same side as i remember though. it's hard to confirm without taking a photo on the truck though because the FSM is confusing for these.
but this would mean the bolts in the back at the frame are tightened/loosened "from the outside".

that might be correct.
i kind of went by the diagram on those two at the frame in the back which is probably a bad idea. i need to check.
but i am pretty sure that they are all tightened or loosened from the same side as i remember though. it's hard to confirm without taking a photo on the truck though because the FSM is confusing for these.
but this would mean the bolts in the back at the frame are tightened/loosened "from the outside".
here is the one we are talking about.

6D7778EA-6DD9-42F6-93AC-F9F860CB6F9A.png

ah. i see. i corrected it. i was so focused on explaining the mistake in the FSM drawing of the nuts i accidentally circled the nuts.
let me know if this looks better.
i am going to replace the original in the OP since the topic is sort of confusing as it is.

22F52540-7D88-41C7-B414-AAC96EB7EC16.jpeg

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that Toyota specifies that this hardware is single use. It should be replaced once loosened.
Considering that these keep the axles under the truck, I would follow the recommended procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom