Loose Wheel Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I installed new wheel bearings (made sure they were well packed) when I did my knuckle rebuild a few months ago, and I've noticed this AM that i need to re-tighten the wheel bearings. I re-tightened them a few weeks ago, and they are coming loose again... any thoughts?

if there is too much grease packed into the bearing then there is hydralic pressure keeping ht ebearing and race seperated a tiny bit, once this gets moved around and squeezed into the center of the hub then the wheel bearings get loose again...
this could be the case...

Did you tighten the first nut to spec, turn the hub a couple of times, loosen it and torque it again? This serves the purpose of making sure the bearings are seated all the way on the spindle, etc. before you finally retorque it, bend the star and put the locking nut.

You didn't reuse the star did you? The one that you bend over the nut? The small inside tab can be worn to the point it can actuallly rotate on the spindle. I always use new ones.

Dave

I've also heard of this happening if you pack the bearings with moly HP grease like is in the knuckle. You did follow the spec right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom