Loose Wheel Bearing

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Red Herring, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All,

I installed new wheel bearings (made sure they were well packed) when I did my knuckle rebuild a few months ago, and I've noticed this AM that i need to re-tighten the wheel bearings. I re-tightened them a few weeks ago, and they are coming loose again... any thoughts?

2. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

did you replace the secur ring .. ? ( that with 5 end that you bend it to secure the nut )

3. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
  4. crushers

crushers post ho

if there is too much grease packed into the bearing then there is hydralic pressure keeping ht ebearing and race seperated a tiny bit, once this gets moved around and squeezed into the center of the hub then the wheel bearings get loose again...
    this could be the case...

5. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Did you tighten the first nut to spec, turn the hub a couple of times, loosen it and torque it again? This serves the purpose of making sure the bearings are seated all the way on the spindle, etc. before you finally retorque it, bend the star and put the locking nut.

You didn't reuse the star did you? The one that you bend over the nut? The small inside tab can be worn to the point it can actuallly rotate on the spindle. I always use new ones.

Dave

6. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

I've also heard of this happening if you pack the bearings with moly HP grease like is in the knuckle. You did follow the spec right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.