Loose Snap Ring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As part of my knuckle rebuild I replaced both snap rings on my axle. The lower ring is extremely tight but the upper that holds the birfield on is sloppy loose. Just wondering if it's supposed to be that loose or did I get the wrong part? See attached pic

AxleSnapRing.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by "both" you only have one snap ring that I know of and it goes on the birfield end. the other end of your axle just slides into the diff.

I am not sure what you mean by "both" you only have one snap ring that I know of and it goes on the birfield end. the other end of your axle just slides into the diff.

See attached pics and you should be able to see both rings. I may not be using the correct terms but my FSM refers to both of them as snap rings.

InnerSnapRing.jpg

OuterSnapRing.jpg

Of the two clips/rings, the lower one as you call it is to limit the axle from going too far into the birfield, you need this one.

The other clip/ring is to keep the axle from going too far into the differential. This clip/ring is a real pain to get installed in the birfield. Some use hose clamps to squeeze it so it can pass through the birfield, others use two or more friends with small screwdrivers to push the clip onto the axle and then push the axle into the birfield.

The best solution, IMHO, is to use what is known as the “MarTack”. This eliminates that sloppy little clip/ring and the pain it is to install.

Search for MarTack here on MUD, also search in the mini truck/4runner forum.

Oh, and yes that clip is supposed to be a bit sloppy, helps when you need to pound off the birfield with a BFH for repairs, the clip normally breaks when the birfied is removed.

Jerry D.

Mine were fairly loose also, Not loose enough to fall or anything , but looser than I thought they were going to be. No problem yet.

The first retaining c-clip is fine, when you press the axle shaft back in just make sure you push the clip back into the groove before the birf slides over, otherwise you will snap or bend the clip.

Once the axle is in the birf the clip is locked into position, you can bend it with your fingers if want to tighten it up a little on the shaft before you slide in into the birf, I have done that before?

See attached pics and you should be able to see both rings. I may not be using the correct terms but my FSM refers to both of them as snap rings.

sweet. I had already purchased .98 cent home clamp to try but was just concerned the ring was too loose. I'll give it a shot tomorrow

My memory must be completely gone (I use Longfields now). I remember now after you responses here and yes that sloppy retainer is just as it should be.

Should not be quite that sloppy. Bend it tighter and re-install. Loose is correct, 1/4" gap is not really.

Should not be quite that sloppy. Bend it tighter and re-install. Loose is correct, 1/4" gap is not really.

Thanks for help guys... I took it off and crimped it a bit with a pair of channel locks then put a hose clamp over it and had it together in about 5 mins. One piece of advice is to really tighten the clamp good. I was afraid to tighten it too much and it kept slipping off and letting the ring expand. Then tightened the clamp real good and rammed it into a board.

Jonesy's has a great video at

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom