Loose panel on tailgate, how to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have an issue with the panel on my 04' LX that contains the reverse lights and license plate (outlined in red), it's loose and I can't figure out how to tighten it. I removed the inner panel of the tailgate, but I couldn't find any nut/bolt that would tighten this area down. I'm worried that eventually it'll fall off.

Apologies, I'm sure I'm not the first one with this issue, I tried searching but didn't find much.

Many thanks in advance. (also the photo is not my truck)

lexus.jpg

I’ve got the same issue. I’ve seen other discussion of the clips breaking (as opposed to any screw/nut to tighten) requiring double sides tape to secure but haven’t opened it up. If you figure it out and can document the process, I’m very interested.

Factory Service Manual, which now that I'm looking at, doesn't have a darn thing about the rear trim. I'd guess you remove this panel under the carpet and that should give you a look at the back side of that trim piece.

1680726048731.png

I bought longer SS Screws and nylock nuts and bolted the license plate completely through the back of the tailgate. I put some weather stripping on the back of the plate and snugged everything down tight. It’s still tight after a few years. I think the plastic clips break on these when the tailgate is dropped down with no license plate in place.

Here's the scoop my dudes: We're all screwed. That darn panel has screws and clips molded into the main plastic part which is just a big piece of molded plastic. The plastic holding the screws and clips in place gets brittle and fractures all over. There is no fix, short of buying a new piece or drilling through the part and using a nut or something (ghetto). Perhaps you could weld some custom cut ABS structure back over top or something, but it would be a very skilled piece of work to last. You can attempt to JB Weld or similar the mounts for the screws, but despite my best efforts, they all failed again promptly.

I took some videos of my attempt to fix this with JB weld, but the video is awful. Here are some snap shots.

1680836133687.png

1680836304435.png

Mine is pre-03 and suffers from the same issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom