Loose Bearings, source for new IFS Spindle/knuckle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on my 96 T100, but the front end was the same as the earlier trucks of course. I have fought loose wheel bearing issues for years now. Put on new bearings about 20,000 miles ago, thought that would help, but they loosened up again. I was setting preload from the FSM, but after looking at some thoughts in the 80 and 100 section, the FSM is pretty conservative on the preload. Went ahead and kept tightening down the nuts to get more preload. I need to try it out on the road, finishing up rear bearings at the moment, that has been a fun job:rolleyes:

Anyways, I've had a persistent pull to the left, even with new tierods, idler and alignment. Took that hub off, and inspected things a bit. I knew this before, but the spindle has some fretting, otherwise known as wear on the bottom of the spindle, primarily on the outside bearing. I tightened down the drivers spindle nuts way tight, but there is a kind of clunk in the bearings as you gently rock them, I think it is the outer moving/sliding a bit. Still good on the fishscale, getting 10 pounds.

I have fought this issue on my high miles FJ60, and even our FZJ80 has the problem too. It seems the only real cure is new spindles. Are there any alternatives to new OEM knuckles for a 4WD, I can't seem to find any. Also, are all the IFS knuckles the same part number/pre Taco era, I'm kind of confused there. Some parts of the T100 are unique.

Any one have some pristine used ones squirreled away?

Thanks,

Wow, learned a lot in this post. I was always under the impression that the T-100 shared it's IFS with the Tundra. Guess you learn new things every day.

I'd check on eBay and see what's floating around, but like you said - you need some pristine used ones. How much do the ones at the dealership cost?

T100 is the based on the original IFS in North America, the high track torsion bar settup that pickups and 4 runners used. The Hilux overseas retained the downsized Land Cruiser solid axle until the late 90's or better and then it began using the same IFS. 100 series Land Cruisers use a similar torsion bar suspension. With the introduction of the Tacoma in 95 and the Tundra in 99 the IFS went to rack and pinion steering with coil over shock struts. I believe the Torsion Bar system was stronger, carried more weight and was thus retained on the Hilux for many years due to their more commercial vehicle use in other parts of the world, same is true for LC. The Taco/Tundra settup probably rides better and has better handling for the soft roads of the US.

Wheel bearings are identical on the FJ60, FJ80, T100 and I assume the IFS trucks, probably anything with disc brakes in that time period.

Knuckles look to be about $300 each or so depending on the online Toyota place you check. The 2WD ones are cheaper, and I think I have found some aftermarket, but they won't work of course. I see too there is a production start of 3/95 up, and a difference between ABS and non-ABS. Mine is a 1996, non-ABS.

I'm just not sure if they are truly unique to the T100, or if the same knuckle fits them all. Partnumbers for these types of things seem to sometimes limit it to one vehicle, when the part was actually interchangeable. Seems Toyota doesn't always want you to know that on major components.

Last edited:
I set the wheel bearing pre-load by using a sheet metal 1/2" drive socket. With a 1/2" ratchet in the socket I take the first nut as tight as I can get it to go while spinning the tire. Then I back it off to slightly loose and remove the ratchet. I then take the nut as tight as I can get it by just turning the body of the socket directly with my hand. Then lock it down. These are big bearings, they can take some pre-load if you're using a high quality grease. I use Redline CV-2 in wheel bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom