Looks like I need a new motor. Bj73 3b. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Looking for some direction on where i might be able to find a bottom end for my 3b. one of the crank shaft bearing caps failed. Or the bolts failed.
Would like to just get a new short block and swap out if possible. This is a 24v truck. Any other options for motors?

Many 1HZ trucks are 24V. Not too sure about 1HDT but I am going to guess those come in 12V or 24V as well.

Depending on where you source a 1HDT or 1HZ you would only need to change to a 24v Alternator and starter. The 12v starters do pretty good handling 24v. I stuck one on my 24v truck and used it while my 24v one was being refreshed.

Other issues with the swap would be moving the engine mounts, different input shaft on transmission, and new radiator. Other odds and ends but plenty 1hz motors have been put in BJ 70s

Depending on where you source a 1HDT or 1HZ you would only need to change to a 24v Alternator and starter. The 12v starters do pretty good handling 24v. I stuck one on my 24v truck and used it while my 24v one was being refreshed.

Other issues with the swap would be moving the engine mounts, different input shaft on transmission, and new radiator. Other odds and ends but plenty 1hz motors have been put in BJ 70s

It's really not that easy. There are hours and hours and hours of integration involved. Putting the engine in is the easy part.

Look for a 15B/BF/BT/BFT.

To the best of my knowledge, they should be.

I’ll be able to tell you more in a couple of months… But I’m going down this pathway with my own 40 and helping a friend put one into his BJ42 shortly.

The 3B is aging quickly and more and more parts are NLA. The 15B platform is much more robust; we just haven’t seen them that much in this hemisphere…yet.

Look up Chaiyut Khemglad on Facebook, CHK Garage in Bangkok. I bought a 15BFTE ECU from him, he’s only on Facebook and Facebook messenger, but he’s very responsive, not a scam artist, I got my ECU via DHL in three days. Not bad from Thailand to Texas.

Toyota Dyna, Coster Busses, Megacruisers, etc. would have the 15b as an option. They have some in Canada since you can import them after 15 years. But your main option is going to be buying one overseas and shipping it.

85C8F9E8-4445-4DC1-AD92-A3DED52F1CF9.jpeg

He posts his shop number freely. You could try WhatsApp’ing him there.

15bt

Curious- for clarification sake- I’m doing my resto on a 40 series and swapped a 3b in. I have a donor 3b as well. I was going to rebuild one and use the spares for my spares off the second. Would it be advisable to look at just going 15bt now?? Haven’t done anything besides mounts as of yet. And are they direct swap as far as mount locations?

Sorry for the thread Jack-

Curious- for clarification sake- I’m doing my resto on a 40 series and swapped a 3b in. I have a donor 3b as well. I was going to rebuild one and use the spares for my spares off the second. Would it be advisable to look at just going 15bt now?? Haven’t done anything besides mounts as of yet. And are they direct swap as far as mount locations?

Sorry for the thread Jack-
Me personally, yes I would skip that 3B and go 15bt. As far as I have heard, the 3b, 13bt, 14b, 15b all mount the same and can use the same transmission

The 15bt is a far superior engine and would flat out rip in a 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom