Looks like I bent my Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I think my axle got bent with my fun the other night:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=52091

I tore it down and looked it over and it looked fine to my eye. Put it all back together and it is driveable, BUT there is a noise that seems to be onece the wheel rotation. Sounds like metal on metal kind of squeak.

Took the tire off the and the end cap seems to not be even with the Drum plate (Rear Drum Brakes)> Tried banging the drum cap to get it off so I can see if it is the Brake plate that might be bent.

I'll try again on the weekend when I have time to get it off.

Since it looks like I have to tear it down to at least get the short side axle out, I thought I should get another one and replace it if I don't see anything.

Just thought I'd post where I was at with this. Everything else seems to be fine except for the noise.

You may also want to get a new wheel bearing and seal and do it while you are there. Heck do the other side to. I would check with Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters for the parts as his price, product, and service is impeccable. (Just a satisfied customer)

Good Luck!

I had a problem with my 68 back 1981 when I got a new set of tires put on. Someone following back said there was a wobble in my back right wheel. Jack it up and change to the spare acted the same. Turned out to be two bend rims from went I put it on it's side in 75 on a icey road. The vehicle left the road sideways, it bend both rims on the passenger side. The axle was fine, these things are tuff. I would check the backing plate first since it probably hit the ground first with the wheel gone. With the back of the vehicle on jack stands you should be able to tell if it is running true.

I forgot not everyone runs the stock tire size so I guess you would have hit the drum first. Unless you have the axle laying around that would be the last thing I'd change.

John

Last edited:
It's probably just the backing plate. When I lost the wheel on my tacoma years ago at about 40 I bent the backing plate pretty good.

spin the tire/rim combo with it off the ground...should be able to see a visible "out of round"

then, pull the tire/rim...put 3 lugnuts back on so the drum is tight against the axle...

spin and check that it's not contacting the backing plate, I'll bet that's the issue as well, a minor tweak will cause it to rub the drum...and don't bet on the drums EVER being perfectly flat on the edge facing the plate either :D

hey romer, i have an extra axel in my garage if you need it, supposedly it sand blasted and por15'd. you make offer if you want it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom