Looking tor tilt wheel ideas???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Looking to put a tilt steering shaft in my 74 FJ40 project...though you all might save me some time at the junk yard. Looking for something that doesnt take to much work yo mod. and looks fairly OEM...nothing to chunky

Thanks

Flaming River columns are decent and plug right up with most aftermarket harnesses.

i have seen a few 4x series with 7x series ones in them on some OZ forums over time

I used an Ididit on my 77 FJ40. I thought it worked great. I had to do a little figuring when it came to wiring, but nothing to complicated.

Pic on my website

http://crustycruisers.com/ps183.jpg

Hope this helps, Matt

i have a tilt column from another toyota. not sure what its out of, haven't decided if i am gonna keep it or go to something else.

i put in a ...

steering column from a fj62-88. Tilt works well. One small issue was cutting the steering mounting and raising the steering wheel 3 inches. for power steering and for differences in the joints for the fj62 steering column.

the length was adjusted in the slip joints, and i had to shorten the slip joint casing.

all in all, it worked very well. only took me a couple of days to get it done.

hard part was getting the fj62-88 parted out during that modification.
Dsc03541b.jpg

not mine but pics help
DCP00164.jpg

I can think of two builds on MUD with tilt columns from a 60.

If I really wanted a tilt column (I don't) it's the only way I'd go.

Pappy has one in Da'40 (you'll have to look in the HDC section of MUD)
Henry James the 47th put one in his HJ-47 (search the 45 section)

I'm sure there are others. Especially if one goes the 60 PS route, then a 60 column makes a lot of sense.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom