looking to replace exhaust from manifold back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to seeif it is something that I can do at home, or if it is better to just take it to a custom shop. I don't have a welder so that may present a problem. Also curious about where to get parts....? any thoughts would be appreciated.... I have about a month before my temporary tags run out so I need to get it inspected sometime soon....

Dave
74 FJ40

can you get historic plates to avoid inspection? That's what I've done in VA.

Sorry, I'm no help on the exhaust.

I'd recommend have a muffler shop do it. Mine was under $300 for header/back with a sweet sounding Magnaflow muffler. I have the MAF 6in1 headers on stock 2F w/coupler that they welded to (came with headers).

Good luck.

The only place I've used is Bains (maybe Baines???) in Winchester VA. They were really cheap and do a quick quality job. They carry flowmasters as an upgrade and will put it all together however you want it.

Is your truck running the stock 6?

If so, just buy the parts from Toyota and bolt it all on. Very simple job. Hardest part will be getting the bolts loose from the exhaust manifold. Or, buy an aftermarket exhaust from SOR.com or from man-a-fre.com

If you have a V8, it's not that simple. However, you can make an exhuast system yourself. Get a set of Rams Horns style manifolds from A1 auto on ebay for about $60 each, then get the correct cross over from a mid 60's GM Pickup. You can then bolt it up to an off the shelf system from downey. You may have to have the pipe tweeked by a muffler shop to join the two, but I did not have to, but this should be bolt together if you can find the correct parts off the shelf regarding the "Y" pipe from a mid 60's GM truck. Takes time, but is worth it.

74's are an oddball year, cool truck.

-Stumbaugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom