Looking to Purchase a stock 93 FJ80 w/128K - asking price is $19K!!! What's it really worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of highly varying opinions as you get with every "is $XX too much?" thread. KBB is a complete joke in general and especially with specialty vehicles like old Land Cruisers. As someone who has been scouring the market for over 6 months for the right truck (just purchased a '97 LX450 finally...can hardly wait to get my hands on it) $19k is a bit steep for a completely stock '93 even with low miles. That said, it's really not that far off in the current market...

I've seen those rigs on Ebay and they do look nice. The first thing I would look at after a near disastrous experience (Saved by an expensive, but excellent pre buy inspection) is where it lived it's life. If it is up north, I would be extremely cautious. The one I nearly purchased looked fantastic on the exterior/interior, but the inspection proved that the frame etc, were essentially rotted out in places. No way I would personally take on a rig with those issues. The first thing I would ask for is detailed under carriage pictures. And even some of those can be decieving. I passed on another one because I could not get comfortable with the undercarriage. The one I eventually purchased, though like I said I overpaid, has an excellent undercarriage, And great original paint, Once I sucked it up and base lined it, I'm very happy with the vehicle. Take your time, The right one is out there But be very skeptical when its stated that nothing is needed,

Personally I would go with something already built and dialed in for $19k. The eBay rig looks clean but is from the northeast so it may be hiding some rust. I'd say it's a 10k rig to the right buyer.

Is that under coating stock? My underside is clean but does not have that. Be a good way of trying to hide something.

the "market" isnt the 'listed' or 'asking' prices......its what the actual selling price is. Most of the time we dont see that. With ebay being the most overpriced relative to the real market. Yes oddball people pay oddball prices all the time.......but the reality is according to the NHTSB vehicles over 10yrs old have an astoundingly high odo rollback percentage and buying off a seller who is in the business is quite often increasing chances of this.

given that an ultra low miler at 130k is also looking at $3-4k in pm repairs.....youd be far better off finding a FAR cheaper 160-180k miler with a stack of receipts of as many of those pm items done as possible and rhen doing the balance of them yourself. Finding someone who keeps receipts and documented mileage or dealer serviced is WAAAAY better than flippers with no receipts and very high claims of low mileage.

I think folks have pretty much answered your question, but I’ll throw in my rig for comparison.

97 FJZ, triple locked, Slee/ARB bumpers, slee bits and pieces, warn 10k, OME suspension, rack, 35” KO2s, new birfs, zero leaks, 8/10 interior, 8/10 exterior, minimal surface rust underneath, very good paint (until I scratched the s*** out of it while wheeling), everything works, records, 141k Miles. I paid 23k, but it was pretty much turn key.

I flushed the trans, ps and brake fluid, changed the oil and radiator hoses, and replaced a leaky AC condenser. I’d drive it to Alaska tomorrow, and have no regrets.

I think folks have pretty much answered your question, but I’ll throw in my rig for comparison.

97 FJZ, triple locked, Slee/ARB bumpers, slee bits and pieces, warn 10k, OME suspension, rack, 35” KO2s, new birfs, zero leaks, 8/10 interior, 8/10 exterior, minimal surface rust underneath, very good paint (until I scratched the s*** out of it while wheeling), everything works, records, 141k Miles. I paid 23k, but it was pretty much turn key.

I flushed the trans, ps and brake fluid, changed the oil and radiator hoses, and replaced a leaky AC condenser. I’d drive it to Alaska tomorrow, and have no regrets.

So your vehicle was baselined with the extra goodies and low mileage to boot. I was say your deal was fair. If you had purchased it at 15k and had to baseline it would have put you where you are. Thats what I thought I was purchasing. My preinspection guy on this vehicle did not do me any favors. But, again, my fault. And I'm now happy with the vehicle. I just have to live with the 5 k I paid too much. I will tell you this. I have a 2014 TTUE FJ cruiser. I drive the LX more. Love that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom