Looking to purchase 2002 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking at 95-97 LC's & LX450's (need something for my wife and new son to tool around in, at least that is what I'm telling her) and ran across a 2002 LX470. It has 95,000 Miles and has not had the 90k service. The only things I could find besides the 90k service is it just needs a good detail. CarFax is good, rides good, it has been maintained (oil changes etc.), no dents, dings, scratches, leaks, or anything else noticeable after a short inspection. Its white in color (I was really looking for a different color) but for the right price I suppose I could settle, besides its mainly for my wife for now.

It has been locally owned and dealer maintained up until around 50k where it was traded into Mercedes dealer. From 50k to 95k it was religiously maintained by an independent Lexus shop which has all the records.

I feel pretty confidant in performing the majority of the 90k service (all fluids) but will probably have the belt done by a professional.

I found a list of what the 90k service includes but I would like to go above and beyond with the maintenance, any suggestions, any thing to lookout for?

I also posted this on Club Lexus, not as much traffic as IH8Mud.

I agreed upon $15,400, any thoughts?

Thanks for your inputs

Last edited:
Records are very important. That 90k service will cost some bucks at the dealership. It involves the timing belt, serp belt, water pump, T-stat, filters (all), and lets not forget about baselining the fluids in the diffs and transfer case. Tires & brakes?

AHC seems to be a problem with the LX model. Take a look around and see what you can dig up on that system. Other than that, the trucks are very similar.

Hold out for another couple of weeks and let the economy tank some more and you will probably be able to settle at $15000 or a little lower. Gas is going back up and things are not getting better out there. Depending on where you live, that truck may sit around for a while and dealerships want cash in the bank. Since you do not love the truck, you can play hard ball and walk away. Once the dealership sees that, you may be able to jump back in the drivers seat and get it cheap.

Good Luck,
John

Sounds like a good deal, provided you have all service records. I have a 1999 LX470, at 132k miles. Owned since new, and I have had my fair share of maintenance, but nothing out of the ordinary that any other car would have. With regards to the suspension, I haven't had a problem with my AHC, however, if it isn't take care of immeadiately when a problem arises, it could end up costing $$$.

It is the last year of the 4 speed transmission, which is fine, except the 2003+ vehicles have a 5 speed, which may or may not influence your decision.

By the way, white is a great color... I wish mine was white.

I'm happy with my 2002 LX. When she does, my wife enjoys driving it with the 2 small kids. I have 88k miles and should be able to keep this vehicle for at least another 88k, and more. Brakes are not cheap, just paid $1100 for new rear rotors and new pads all around, which lasted me about 40k miles since last brake job.

I can't believe you can pick up that truck for $15k. I have not been checking prices lately and that seems amazing. Its almost a no brainer for that amount of money. You'll be pleased if you buy it.

I think it is a good price. I have 2001 with 110k and here, in Ohio, the price is averaging $13,000.

Thanks for the input, I made the purchase and absolutely love it. I am sure you will be hearing more from me about various things, but for now I am sure I will be using the search and read method.

I talked with a local mechanic who worked for Lexus for years and broke away to open his own shop about the 90k. He will replace ALL fluids (front/cntr/rear diff, trans, eng oil, AHC, brake fluid), repack wheel bearings, Timing Belt, Water Pump, and 8 Spark plugs for $1400. I think this sounds fair.
I would normally do this work myself but it seems my time has just become a little more precious with a new baby, do you guys think this is a good price?

I also noticed the Nav screen it pretty worn where the most commonly buttons are on the display. Any advice on this matter? Can you replace the screen or “clean it “?

Thanks again everyone for the help: Great Forum, almost too much information

good purchase. Congrats. Have a 2000 lx 470. Absolutely amazing vehicle. When maintenance is required, it won't be cheap, but it shouldn't be often. I've got 145Kish, and just put new LTX rubber on her, and she is an absolute dream to drive. I'm appreciable of the driving experience *everytime* I get in. To me, it's a privilege to drive something this nice. Some day, sliders, et al, but for now, it's just a family truck that gets us around rather nicely. Drive it and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom