Looking to get out next weekend (8/21/21) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
Its been quite a while since I did the Back Way to Crown King, so that would be my first choice, but open to others.

-Matt

Its been quite a while since I did the Back Way to Crown King, so that would be my first choice, but open to others.

-Matt
What day and what time. Never done CK, so it needs a check mark.

Probably air down between 8:30am and 9:00am somewhere on the road in (TBD) on Saturday the 21st.

I've never done that trail before. will recent rains make the trail impossible?

I've never done that trail before. will recent rains make the trail impossible?

Certainly unlikely to make it easier, but I'm planning to keep an eye out for any trail reports/reviews that indicate impassable conditions. It's not a stock-friendly trail to begin with, so erosion can definitely have a meaningful impact on conditions. That said, it's one of the more popular trails in the area and if it is significantly damaged, we should know beforehand.

Last time I was on the trail, around March of last year after some storms in the valley and lots of snow up on the mountain, the trail was eroded to hell. I'm sure it's better by now and there wont be snow/ice starting a few miles from the top to slow you down, but it did end up taking us 8 hours to make it up and to a campsite (one of my more memorable offroad adventures). I think we usually average closer to 4-5 hours taking our time. I work this Saturday though, so I won't be able to make this one.

This is an awesome trail, but I highly recommend doing it on a weekday. That trail is like freeway now on the weekends.

Jim

I’m not seeing anything to indicate problems, so right now I’m still planning to go on Saturday.

I got asked to lead a run to Chiva Falls for a group of folks from work this Saturday, so I will have to miss the CK run. How is the camping in that area this time of year? Are you able to get high enough to have cooler temps to sleep in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom