Looking to get a FZJ80, questions on one recently looked at (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

New to ih8mud but have been lurking here on and off for the last 4 years. Recently looked at a FZJ80 with around 168K miles and had some questions. Primarily looking for a stock car that hasn't been modified.
As far as mechanicals go:
-They recently changed the original radiator because it had a crack in it, they just bough it back in January, 4th owners. coolant level was low in the radiator when I took the cap off, didn't smell exhaust fumes so likely it has a leaking hose or the mechanic didn't purge the system properly. Level was about an inch below from the base of the neck. Red coolant.
-Front main seal or oil pump cover (or both) are leaking. Oil pan is probably leaking too. I've read about this here already of what is involved to fix.
-valve cover has a leak.
-all rubber hoses are cracked
-from the oil fill cap hole on the valve cover I could see some sludge in the head
-test drove it and the whole front felt loose and shook heavily as soon as you touched the brakes even gently. Also front of the truck felt lower than the back. When doing a U-turn something didn't feel right with steering. It felt separate from the chassis.
-AC was weak, probably has a leak somewhere. They told me they serviced it and it works fine but it didn't.
-gearbox shifted fine but didn't pay much attention to it overwhelmed by the shake in the front and mirrors rattling.

Body:
-been 20 years outdoors in a field, parked over unpaved driveway. Paint is tired, never been buffed or it has been years since its been polished.
-both doors on passenger side replaced, they were painted wrong with no vin tags.
-interior bad shape, expected for car left out in the sun for years, both front and read leather are bad.
-Upper part of the B pillar a few inches below the roof edge there was a huge corrosion spot, a 2 inch spot of the original paint was about to flake off with rust under it.
-cracked windshield.
-both side mirrors the lens shook pretty good while driving.
-driver seat stuck in one position (they told me this was broken plastic gears)
-except the rubber around the front and rear windows. Every rubber outside the truck was completely rotted and most of it fallen off

All in all it looked like a vehicle that has only been driven and not a single maintenance done to it with occasional oil changes. This was rougher than a previous 97 I test drove 5 years ago that looked to have 300K miles but it was rolled back, never checked the vin on that one. Mileage checks out on carfax for this one I looked at and I was a little surprised to see how rough it was at 168000 miles. Is this expected on these? They don't last like a 90s Camry?

Assuming it needs every mechanical thing needed at these miles and poor ownership style what am I looking at on parts (only toyota parts if they are still available)? (For suspension, diff, brakes, engine, ....)

Body I'm assuming it will need more than 10K for interior and exterior work.

Any idea of what should be offered in this market? They want around 16K for it and I think that's way up there but please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Looking at it I'm thinking its a $7K truck. Its rough enough that I'm no sure it will make the drive home. There is a lot more stuff I could have checked but I didn't. Just surprised by all the things wrong with it while they had made it sound like it was maintained well on the phone when I talked to them.

Thanks
Brkn80s

Welcome to MUD snd the 80 forum !!

Sounds like a very rough truck. For $16,000 you can find a truck in good shape, full service records, lockers, and some mods.

I’m guessing you’re looking at $5 to 6 thousand to baseline, if not more. I’d be very reluctant to take on a truck that needs full restoration.

You need good bones to start out. You have a good eye and made some good observations regarding everything under the hood, all of which would have me run in the opposite direction. I’d assume the chassis and frame have rust and corrosion?

From your description, no way I’d pay more than $2000 and that’s if it has lockers and the axles aren’t rusted.

Have any pictures to keep us entertained?

Last edited:
Sounds like a basket case that needs too much work. I sold a 97 to my nephew with over 300,000 and all the seats minus the drivers were in really good condition.
At that mileage engine, the gaskets were getting a bit tired. For example the valve cover started to leak and things like that.
The asking price is ridiculous. Keep looking for a better condition one.

if you have the VIN number, you can check the Toyota owners site for service records

The truck has no service records. None. The first owner had it up to around 70K miles and sold it in 2002 (went through an auction at that time which I think may have been with both doors hit). First owner registered it in Dallas, after that it spent the rest of its life on a farm. It’s a TX car. Under the truck was very dirty so can’t speak for any bad corrosion under there. Did have minor surface corrosion on the frame and axles here and there. It does have some corrosion bubbling out the paint from under the window seals also. The whole car especially the interior looked rough. Carpet was also dirty with soda spills on it from years ago and no one cleaned it up. The pictures were pretty low quality in the add. So if rear seats looked new they actually looked worn and had cracks on them in person. also no third row seats. The truck doesn’t have the extra lockers….
There is nothing really special about it other than being a factory Onyx Black truck. Having them describe how they bought it and all I think they may have paid 2-3K for it back in January. The husband was telling me he had seen junked out ones for 12K. I wanted to tell him well this one is junked out too. Someone had already looked at it prior to me with 16 in their hand and after seeing it he didn’t even make an offer and walked away. Someone else offered them 14 on the phone but obviously they haven’t seen it in person yet. The way the truck was described to me on the phone on how well the previous owner had taken care of it despite some of the cosmetic flaws on the paint made me think it was worth 13-14K before making the trip to look at it. After seeing the main body corrosion and what else could be lurking under it and seeing that it actually wasn’t taken care of by the previous owner I think it’s a $5000 truck in this market. Maybe a little more due to the color. I think the front axle needs a rebuild and a whole bunch of other suspension, steering work. They were pretty firm on 16K I told them it’s only worth single digits. I’ve seen and sat in some very nice 96-97 cars so know what they can look and feel like when taken care of. Mainly been interested in a 97 anniversary edition after seeing a new looking one back in 2015. That truck looked new with the letters “anniversary edition super charged” on both fenders. Loved the color.
But this one being black, has picked my interest.
Does anyone know if rust on the B pillar is common on these? Odd spot to my eyes. Open area noting covering it so not sure why it would rust there (paint in this area, that off mat black color they all come with, looks original) I think it may have been kept under a tarp at times which would keep moisture in after a rain.

Maintenance and parts can be really high on these; especially if you have to include some body work. Buy the nicest one you can find/afford and you will be money ahead. I wouldn't even remotely consider this one further based on what you have presented.

I don't know how pricing here compares to the states, but here, 16k will buy you a very nice FZJ80.

I'd be walking away at anything above 3k, especially with the rust. Rust is like an iceberg, you can only see 30% of what's actually there!

Nope. Not my idea of fun. The couple asking that price has been lurking on the celebrity websites. Color is subjective, not worth any more than any other vehicle. Paint is paint, emotional attachment means paying more for something that is worth less. If you can wait for the right one and pounce when you see it, that is what I would do. Every detail I read from your description indicates this is a parts truck at best. Use your energy elsewhere, this vehicle is not the one for anyone But the crusher man at the junk yard.

16k is a vehicle that has no body Bubble rust and can be driven 2k home from where you purchased it. The axle stuff and oil leaks, hoses etc all get fixed in baselining that everyone should do, HOWEVER. 16k would have almost all of it already done. 1-2k is that vehicle's value and with rusted body parts it is a parts vehicle unless you are a body man and don't mind a few surprises. And still 1-2k.

16k in hand and searchtempest and fb marketplace and you can find MUCH better. For less than half you can find much better. Don't get stuck only looking in tx. I know going to look at them further out is a pain but road trips give better stories anyway.

All great advice from everyone. I think you've answered most of your own questions and need to go with your gut and the advice here. Just because it's black is no reason to even entertain the exorbitant price the seller decided on. B pillar rust is not common, this is a rig that has been clearly neglected.

searchtempest and fb marketplace and you can find MUCH better. For less than half you can find much better. Don't get stuck only looking in tx. I know going to look at them further out is a pain but road trips give better stories anyway.
That search tempest is dangerous. I had some bourbon and looked at the East Coast. This is now sitting at the family farm seven hours north of me awaiting transport this weekend. No rust and he knew what he had….a drunk on the line!!

3454766F-9FD5-422A-A586-FC3E7AB93642.jpeg

That search tempest is dangerous.
That is called legal fun. Good bourbon can make for some real optimism. You'll be fine. The issue I have, is even right after I bought two trucks, I got back on there and kept searching for more.

Hard pass; offer $1000 as a parts truck, maybe.

$16K! Bwahahaha
The seller is nuts!The Pile O'crappolla you described is a parts rig at best, 7/100 weight at the knackers at worst.

Here's a nice rig for 17.5K...no affiliation.
Now granted its been lifted with some adjustments to the axles, but not all, and that can be fixed.

Here's another at a similar price point. This is somebodies Baby.

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone is saying but recently nice ones with high miles have exchanged hands for a lot of money. More than double what you are suggesting here for a nice one. I think someone experienced with these may pay 3-4K for it. Someone new may pay more. I will wait a few weeks and see if they drop the price while I search for one my gut feeling says this is it. The moment I saw it 5 feet away I knew this was not the car they described to me.

Thanks guys!

That is called legal fun. Good bourbon can make for some real optimism. You'll be fine. The issue I have, is even right after I bought two trucks, I got back on there and kept searching for more.
You don’t say. These two and a ‘73 rolling frame later……..

0349D862-23A7-481E-8CAC-28F4E1938C42.jpeg

5CEDC3C7-8A3E-4CAA-8A8E-D2D18A87E86C.jpeg

There are quite a few on Craigs in the Colorado Springs/Denver area at the moment. Prices are all over the place, but they at least seem fairly relevant to the rigs condition by and large. Even a few @$12k and down in desirable colors and varying levels of baseline or modification.
And if you have $16k, there are several built rigs (that's what they say anyway) @$22k and up from an outfit in Denver that specializes in baselining/refurbishing/restoring.

$16K! Bwahahaha
The seller is nuts!The Pile O'crappolla you described is a parts rig at best, 7/100 weight at the knackers at worst.

Here's a nice rig for 17.5K...no affiliation.
Now granted its been lifted with some adjustments to the axles, but not all, and that can be fixed.

Here's another at a similar price point. This is somebodies Baby.

Whoa, $15k for unlocked, not great interior, off-brand tires and over 360,000 miles. The market has gone crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom