looking to buy, @ what mileage do you start to back away? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks clean has about 3 pages of Lexus records. Looks like it was dealer servised from new to 50K then it's anybodys guess.
200559 0243174 OTHERS
Dealer Reported 02/02/2007 Lexus of Memphis 175012 0097828 SFI.MFI
Dealer Reported 06/18/1999 Lexus of Memphis 49135 0119733 49,500 MILE SERVICE
Dealer Reported 06/18/1999 Lexus of Memphis 49135 0119733 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER LUBE BUSHIN
Dealer Reported 01/19/1999 Lexus of Memphis 43534 0114994 45,000 MILE SERVICE LS 400
Dealer Reported 01/19/1999 Lexus of Memphis 43534 0114994 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER LUBE BUSHIN

If you go to Lexus.com on the bottom left of the page it says My Lexus and you can sign up and look at any VIN and the maintenance records.

It all depends on it's previous "custodian(s)". There are trucks you would have to give me as a project to make it worth the time and money to make it right. Even then, it might not be worth it. Others are properly maintained and in good shape even at 200k mi.

No magic number.

I tried to stay under 150k. However, I bought one with 167k because it had some maintenance records, ZERO rust, the HG was done at 117K, and the price was right. Otherwise in great shape just more mileage than I hoped for. If you do not plan on putting many miles on it, I would steer towards a well maintained rig before a low mileage rigs. But price trumps everything else if you can do some stuff yourself. $10k for one in great shape or $7k for one that will be in great shape with $2k worth of work. End result = $9k. Your call.

ya well this one is only $5500 and looks beautiful... oh so tempting

looking to buy, @ what mileage do you start to back away?

Anything with more than 500k miles. :idea:

Condition, care, and maintenance trumps mileage any day.

I have owned 3 FJ80 and 1 40. It depends on the condition and not the miles. Made one mistake and got one with a lot of rust, a mess to work on and not fun. Just got another with 167K but well maintained. The only problem was paint but that took only labor. I had to replace the front bumper and work underneath and because it was not all rusted, it was easy. I would not hesitate to get another with a few more miles as long as it was well taken care of. Parts are expensive even if you can put them on yourself.

petro, I have seen that one on craigslist for a while, it does look nice though. I'm guessing no lockers. I am also in Ft. Worth, and have a 93 LC. We should grab a beer!

petro, We should grab a beer!

well that is priority # 1

all else is secondary.

stay away from rust unless you want to make it trouble x 10

I've always heard 10K/year, or thereabouts, is considered good mileage for a used vehicle. My 93 has 146k so I'd consider it low mileage (17 years x 10k miles per year = 170k). In the end though, I'd consider proper attention to maintenance more important than mileage on an 80. I'm sure there are 93's out there with 300k that are in better overall condition than mine.

Kind of funny.... I bought mine about 3 years ago from one of the boutique-y dealerships in Dallas as well - with 179K on the clock. My wife thought I was fairly insane. This was back before the gas hikes, before the economy crash, it was listed for 11K and I was happy to get it for 9K...

If the vehicle has been well maintained, it can be a good buy. You should plan on spending 2 or 3k in baselining, I would think, but also see if you can spend $50 to $100 getting a toyota shop to check it out. Notice I said toyota shop and not lexus. The car will cost money in maintenance, if you have an aversion to that, keep looking.

Big thing is, get in it, drive it. Feel it. if it feels like love, then it is. If it leaves a question in your mind, it isn't.

petro, I have seen that one on craigslist for a while, it does look nice though. I'm guessing no lockers. I am also in Ft. Worth, and have a 93 LC. We should grab a beer!

Ya man that'd be great. PM me some details and maybe we can figure something out. I might have a cruiser by the end of this weekend :steer:. I found a 1997 with 150k miles at a dealer, but not sure on the price yet. I sure do like the lx and the price is right, but 50k miles is a big difference

They're all old. Buy the one in the best shape.:meh:

They're all old. Buy the one in the best shape.:meh:

x2.

Maybe the condition of the interior is the deciding factor...things like baselining the new rig and PM will have to be done regardless of the mileage on the truck...so look for qualitative differences that are important to you personally.

once the new rig is baselined, PM'ed and deemed reliable by you, you won't notice the difference between 133k and 200k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom