Looking to buy LX450 - Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I've been searching here for a while getting information about the LX450/LC, and decided to go ahead and post for advice.

I found one at a local dealer I've delt with before. I may buy it but wanted to see what I need to look out for, appearance and ride is great but it has 197,000 miles.

I know to look into replace/cleaning the head gasket. I also had the local Lexus dealer run a maintenance history for me and it came back fairly positive, looks like the previous owner had it regularly serviced there. Also, the Carfax came back clean (but I know those don't show everything).

I also called the mechanic that the dealer uses and he said he replaced the front rotors and idle pulley.

So, as far as mileage goes, I've taken that the census here is mixed as far as rebuilding the engine vs doing nothing except HG until something needs fixing. Does the engine life max out at 250,000 - 300,000 miles?

I'm selling my current car due to a baby on the way, and I don't want a car payment. I've always wanted an 80's series LC/LX450. Dealer is asking $8900 and I think I can knock a thousand or so off of that.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Where in TN are you located?

Miles are a bit high, but the price is not too bad, especially if you can knock some of that off. Of course I'm using CA prices...I don't know what they'd go for in TN normally.

NorCalDoug said:
Miles are a bit high, but the price is not too bad, especially if you can knock some of that off. Of course I'm using CA prices...I don't know what they'd go for in TN normally.

I've noticed that prices are all over the board. KBB is like $12K, but I've also seen guys selling lower mileage LC's for about the same as this guy is asking. I'm prepared to sink a little money into it as far as maintenance, just worried about a complete engine failure.

Thanks for the response though.

Drive the truck if you haven't yet.

I was a little worried about 135k on the 97 LX450 I just bought this week, but it runs and drives like new...very nice ride.

If it runs like any other car with 200k miles...work on getting the price down a little and figure out what it would cost for an engine swap if needed after some time.

If it runs like new and is clean.....go for it.

I don't know.
$8000 for 200K miles. doesn't that sound kinda high?
I'd go for lower mileage (eh, come to think of it, I did...)
You can get a 140K miles for $10K or so, I would think. I'd pay an extra 2K for 60K less....

I would take it somewhere and have a compression and leakdown test done for sure. That will let you know what kind of condition the engine is in.

Thanks for the responses. I'm definanately going to have a compression test done. Going to take a look again today. Thanks!

I'd look for lower milage as well. Don't get in a hurry. There are plenty of good trucks out there with lower milage at good prices. Basically these fellows are asking $9k for a truck with 200k miles on it. Five years ago, I paid $14k for a truck with 100k on it. I bet you can find that truck now for well under $12k and I'd much rather have that truck than one with twice the milage for 3/4 the price.

Asking prices are just that. I have a feeling our FZJ's aren't selling that well in the general market.

Like one mechanic used to say about vintage cars, "You can't pay too much for a good one, or too little for a bad one". Now, don't take that too literally, but the guy's point is, pay a little more for a good one and you'll be miles ahead, and a bad one will cost you far more in the end in terms of trying to fix it up to be as good.

All else held equal, buy the newest truck, with the lowest miles you can.

Best of luck.

R.

Wait amigo--you can find one with sub 130k easy. Remember you can ship one for about $800--check in the following states: AZ, NV, NM, TX(watch out for flood vehicles), WA, CA(stay away from the beach like San diego). I watched for a few months before buying mine. I think you could find a really nice 96/97 LC or LX for 9k/10k with sub 130k. Keep in mind these aren't selling--ask the owner about the following: how is the gas mileage:doh: , Has the front axle been repacked?(-$1200) Has the radiator ever been replaced?(-$500) Has it ever over heated?(head gasket) Check the color of the antifreeze and make sure it isn't mixed. See if the stock cd player works, see if it has the original spark plug wires/ original hoses, air intake etc. These are all points on the bringing the price down. Check for oil leaks. Ask if the diff/transfer case oil has ever been changed. If you are going to wheel ever look for diff locks. Good luck and post up what you end up with. Don't be afraid to low ball people--few people yelled at me or hung up:D keep in mind I didn't especially like doing that but I got mine for 4k under asking after contacting about 50 owners. Look harder there is a ton of nice cruisers out there. I would have gone for a newer one but last year when I bought mine the price of a good 96/97 was north of 14k. Also consider buying one from somebody on the board in the for sale section--chances are it will have all the pm done and could even have some valuable mods done.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=2036

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...t=75&engine=&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=966

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ine=&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=1723#vdptop

I agree with everyone else's advice to wait for a better deal on a truck with lower mileage (and lockers). Take your time and you will be much happier with your purchase.

Yeah, the more I think about it I was just rushing in because it was in my area, but I've found a lot more in Atlanta with lower miles and decent asking prices. Thanks again for all the advice. I'll let ya'll know what I find.

The 200,000 miles would bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom