Looking to buy an imported turbo diesel have some questions

Also, isn’t everyone worried about the cost of owning any car when shopping? I just don’t want to spend thousands every year and have it laid up in the shop for weeks on end wait for parts. I do long road trips for a couple of months and need it to work consistently, it’s not going to be used for weekend warrioring. A random mechanic in Durango, Salt Lake or Cheyenne needs to be able to help me. I guess something in the 20,000 is reasonable for these imports, but I just need help getting a third opinion on the mechanicals i think.
A random mechanic anywhere is not going to be able to help you with a 25 year old imported diesel. You need to be looking at Tacomas, 4Runners, or maybe even a 1st gen Tundra. Parts everywhere, mechanics everywhere. Excellent vehicles, cheap to own and operate, checks all your boxes. Tacos and Runners come with manual trannies too.

I have a car from them and it has more issues / priced higher than others. They are slow to respond like its a bunch of kids working there. I'd look elsewhere!

My RHD car is fun to drive, I would never have one as a daily. It was down for over a month while a sourced a radiator and fan clutch. The fan clutch was 800 dollars from Japan so I rebuilt it myself. Now the steering rack is leaking, its not like you can goto the auto parts store and just buy a new one. I ordered parts from the UAE and will have to rebuild it myself which means more down time. No biggie because its a car I drive once a month if that.

Are you stuck on a manual? If I had 24k to spend I'd be looking at the 200 series. You're getting close, it makes a good daily, less work and is very capable. I think there is a big hype to have a diesel land cruiser but usually people have a comfortable daily because they know that the land cruiser is a maintenance hog.

Do yourself a favor and go read about some others that bought diesels and all of the baselining they needed. Like rod / main bearings. How capable are you as a mechanic?

Next time, take a look at @cruiseroutfit . I just bought a timing belt kit (including water pump) for under $300 (allOEM). They list the 1HDT fan clutch for $122 (Aisin, same as OEM). Now that my old go-to (@Onur ) is out of the game, I'm finding that Cruiser outfit has most of the parts I need, at a reasonable price. I was too stupid to listen to anyone when I bought my diesel. I've driven it for 65,000 miles over the last 3 years. I've maintained it and it hasn't given me an issue. But, I did buy it from a fellow Mud member who cared for it.

Next time, take a look at @cruiseroutfit . I just bought a timing belt kit (including water pump) for under $300 (allOEM). They list the 1HDT fan clutch for $122 (Aisin, same as OEM). Now that my old go-to (@Onur ) is out of the game, I'm finding that Cruiser outfit has most of the parts I need, at a reasonable price. I was too stupid to listen to anyone when I bought my diesel. I've driven it for 65,000 miles over the last 3 years. I've maintained it and it hasn't given me an issue. But, I did buy it from a fellow Mud member who cared for it.
I don't think @cruiseroutfit sells parts for my Soarer. I do call them when I need cruiserparts

IMG_20190801_194004.jpg

Top Bottom