Looking to buy an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, after a year or so of working on her, I finally talked my wife into getting an 80. It will be her daily driver though I hope to inherit it in a few years:D I think she is finally getting into this, as she calls it, "cruiser thing" I have.

I must admit I don't know much about them so thought I'd get some input before we start the search.

We have a budget of ~15K and both agree it must be white.

So, my questions...
What are the desirable year(s), years to avoid, must have dealer installed options, problems to look for, etc.

Any info greatly appreciated.

BTW, we live in Oregon, so if you know of one or see one in the NW let me know.
Steve

do a search as there have been several small buyer guides posted here and it seems to come up weekly.

Stick with 96-97, white sucks so you'll save money there :D, really no options except lockers or not, so get them

key thing is the maintenance. the week after I bought my 97 the head gasket blew cause the previous owner never changed the oil.

is he still alive, Junk?
:D
E

At 15k you should be able to find a nice low mileage one. I'd probably look for a 96-97 just because the mileage will be lower. Is an LX450 out of the question? My dad bought one recently because it had lower mileage, better maintainence, and was cheaper than the Land Cruiser sitting right next to it on the same lot. I would take good care over mileage though. My 94 has 185k on it and looks great and drives like new. The previous owner was anal. Oil changes, bearings, gear lube, etc... I've seen some with 95k on it that I'd be scared to drive on a long trip because they were so abused.

Sweeeet! - I had to convince (sort of) my wife about the 80. Whatever you do, do not get a nice clean one (96-7) with low miles and a cherry interior - your wife will not get tired of it soon enough. Get one with bad or aftermarket stiff suspension. A loud exhaust system may help as well. Also bigger wheels and manly bumpers might help to alienate her from the vehicle. You can even disconect the heater or the airconditioner to speed things up! ;)

Just Kidding! You will love it but honestly so will your wife if she is anything like mine! (My wife got a new car 3 years ago and now she always wants to drive the LC!) :cheers:

Our Cruiser is my wife's daily driver and she loves it....... I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for if you're patient.

My wife has even said I can have ARB lockers installed once it's paid for......... now that's a supportive wife.

Wayne S :cheers:

Hee hee! When i brought my cruiser home a couple of weeks ago, the first thing my wife said was, "Those tires are too small."

:eek:

A few days later she insisted that I replace the spotty wood trim inside.

Yesterday she said I should go ahead and get the ARB right away.

She's pregnant and I think the hormones are going to her head!

The exhaust whistle annoys her a lot, so I figure it shouldn't be difficult to have a Borla cat back on order by the end of the week! :D

Gotta work quickly - the baby's due in 6 days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom