Looking to buy a 2004 LC with 195k on it. Wanted your input before going for it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Right now, I have a dealer ready to sell an '04 100 to me for $10,000. It has 195,000 miles on it. It needs work, so I'm hesitant to buy. I currently drive an old, tired, rusty, New-York-Owned Jeep ZJ, so old SUVs aren't foreign to me. I'm hoping you guys can give it your blessing, or your warning to stay away. I took it to my mechanic for a PPI, and here's what he found, and his cost for the job:

Major/ expensive services needed:
  • New alternator: $499
  • Rack and pinion replacement: $1300
  • Sway bay links: $175
  • Front CV axles replacement: $650
  • Valve cover gaskets: $425
  • Due to 195k, it's time for second timing belt/ water pump: $1200
Here are minor/ less expensive services needed:
  • Fog lamp bulb: $55
  • Park lamp bulb: $33
  • Turn signal housing: $125
  • Front brakes: $395
  • Rear brake: $395
  • Positive battery cable: $45
  • Alignment: $98
  • Power steering hose: $199
  • Rotate tires: $20
  • Window regulator/ weird driver door electrical issues: potentially $550
  • New battery $180
  • New serpentine belt $20
Now obviously not all of these jobs require a mechanic, so I plan to do some of these on my own, but I wanted to simply provide everything the mechanic found so you guys have the same picture that I do.

CarFAX/ MyToyota records are diligent through two owners, but there are some moderate gaps between oil changes and other "minor" maintenance records, especially nearing the 180-195k mile mark. It has had it's timing belt/ water pump changed at 90k, but it's due for another at this point.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

If so, what other issues should I be on the lookout for at this point that the mechanic didn't see, or have yet to potentially happen?

Thanks

Some things on the list are subjective unless the truck isn’t running. Did an inspection reveal you need CV joints or are you assuming regular maintenance items? Valve cover gaskets, is it leaking?

If the timing belt wasn’t done by the dealer, they know it needs to be done so ask for a discount.

That’s a little high IMO for the amount of work needed assuming in needs to get done.

Miles don’t scare me on these trucks but rust does. If its a clean truck I would go for it

Some things on the list are subjective unless the truck isn’t running. Did an inspection reveal you need CV joints or are you assuming regular maintenance items? Valve cover gaskets, is it leaking?

If the timing belt wasn’t done by the dealer, they know it needs to be done so ask for a discount.

That’s a little high IMO for the amount of work needed assuming in needs to get done.

Miles don’t scare me on these trucks but rust does. If its a clean truck I would go for it

My mechanic said the CV boots are torn and the CV axles on both sides should be replaced. He also reported that the valve cover gaskets were leaking. My mechanic didn't say anything about rust, and my quick once-over didn't see anything of note.

The water pump and belt were replaced by a local Lexus dealer.

$10,000 is the discounted price. I got the sales manager down to that point from $12,000, citing the amount of repairs needed. For reference, this is not being sold by a Toyota/ Lexus dealer.

The Land Cruiser didn't start today, and needed a jump. Confirming the bad alternator caught by my mechanic.

$650 won’t be enough for OEM Axles. Maybe that’s for the aftermarket ones.

Yeah man, that’s a lot of things. Although hard to find there may be other fish in the sea. It’s tough when you already invested in it but it’s a lot of work and you haven’t really gotten into it.

It's not bad to be honest. Every LC with 180k is going to be needing the big ticket ones on that list, esp the new rack pinion.

CVs....reboot or go OEM. Skip the aftermarket junk

Are you handy at all? Some of those bigger ticket items can be knocked out all at once—if you've already got it blown apart for the timing job, for example, the alternator is (relatively speaking) easy to access. Same with replacing the serpentine belt. A day's work, if you kind of know your way around tools and aren't in that much of a hurry. I haven't done valve covers, but once you've removed all the intake plumbing for the timing job (not the manifold), that's about as easy as it will be to get to them.

Don't even bother with aftermarket CVs. Others have said it already, but they're junk.

Sway bar links—if you've got a jack, these are also easy. Cruiser Outfitters sells the bushings if your hardware is in good shape. Inexpensive fix.

Otherwise sounds like you're doing fine in leveraging maintenance against the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom