looking to buy 95 Land Cruiser Prado - parts and repair concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, Long time Toyota fan, had an FJ80 years ago and drive a Tundra now. I recently ran into a 95 Prado import ( right hand drive ) that caught my eye. I really like the vehicle and the 3.0 liter 1kz diesel engine. No, won't be a daily driver, more of a camping and hunting trip car. My main concern is parts availability. I see that someone graciously made a nice list of various repair shops within the US ( I'm not close to any). Are in fact parts for these old cars available? I've located filters, timing belts, and a supplier in Australia that my have items. I was thinking if I bought the car I may stock an alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and starter along with a case of filters. I'm hoping to hear that the cars are supportable in the US. Hope so, sure like that 3.0 diesel sound.

Any insight and lessons learned would be very much appreciated.

Dan

I’m reasonably sure that most parts would be available however many would need to be sourced out of country and would not be available immediately. From my experience most of the parts can be sourced from the Middle East and are available within 4-6 days.

I’m reasonably sure that most parts would be available however many would need to be sourced out of country and would not be available immediately. From my experience most of the parts can be sourced from the Middle East and are available within 4-6 days.
thanks, that's great. I'm looking for a source - thought I'd just get the parts and have them ready. Any good sources?

thanks, that's great. I'm looking for a source - thought I'd just get the parts and have them ready. Any good sources?
I would check with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters first to see what they inventory. After that, I would solicit sources outside of the country.
There are several people on ‘MUD that have the inside track on parts and hopefully they will chime in.

I'm new to the same Prado as well and am sure someone else will have more answers. Cruiser Outfitters has some parts for our vehicles and once you get a part number you can check Toyota Parts Deal and often the parts are used on other models. The best source I've found out of the country so far is partsouq which is located in Dubai. I just placed a partsouq order and got it in less than a week.
Cheers,
Greg

Greg, That's great to hear. I did go to partssoug but cannot locate anything older than a 1996 when looking up the body type. I searched for a 1994: kzj78w, but seems I can't locate anything older than a 1996. I'm sure some of the parts from a 1996 and newer may work, but not knowing what cross references I'd hate to make orders for parts that I can't use.

Greg, That's great to hear. I did go to partssoug but cannot locate anything older than a 1996 when looking up the body type. I searched for a 1994: kzj78w, but seems I can't locate anything older than a 1996. I'm sure some of the parts from a 1996 and newer may work, but not knowing what cross references I'd hate to make orders for parts that I can't use.
Try this link: Partsouq KZJ78W If you can get the vehicle VIN, enter that and it will give you specific links. I see several for KZJ78W
Screenshot 2021-02-15 090402.jpg

Try this link: Partsouq KZJ78W If you can get the vehicle VIN, enter that and it will give you specific links. I see several for KZJ78W
View attachment 2585816
excellent! I didn't see that section for some reason. I have a vin from a similar vehicle ( don't have the vin from the one I'm looking at yet). When I ran it there were too few numbers in the vin to do a search. Seems that these others vehicles had 11 digits on the vins. I do appreciate you sending this!

I did locate a starter and alternator on the partssoug site, but they indicate not available. I then used the part numbers and located via a google search other suppliers out of the US that indicate they have them. I would think with how prevalent these engines are worldwide there is certainly a source for replacements.

Gents, Excuse my ignorance, but I'm on the partssoug site and run into what exact body style I'm looking at. Is the 95 LC/ Prado with a 1kz te a KJI78W - then there are other three letter designations of: PET, and there are others. What exactly am I looking for? I'm trying to source part numbers for further research.

What is your VIN? Frame number? What exactly are you looking for? What parts?
I'm looking at a Prado and was concerned about spare parts. I can get the vin tomorrow I suppose. I'm hearing that items such as starters and alternators are NOS, and have to be rebuilt ( from a call to Cruiser outfitters). I then google what I think is the right part number for a starter 2810067020 and find that I can obtain one from Amayama for only $1700 USD. So, basically I'm on a fact finding mission to see how difficult it would be to maintain the vehicle. I occurs to me that if I wanted to drive it past AAA range I may want some spares along with me as I know Auto Zone has no idea what I'm talking about when trying to locate parts for this car ( I've done that). I really like the vehicle, but the parts cost and availability may be a deal breaker to me. Shame as I love the sound of that little 3.0 diesel engine, and the looks are very classic! May be a bit much to spend on a local only vehicle ( and I may still buy it as I have really taken to it)

I'm looking at a Prado and was concerned about spare parts. I can get the vin tomorrow I suppose. I'm hearing that items such as starters and alternators are NOS, and have to be rebuilt ( from a call to Cruiser outfitters). I then google what I think is the right part number for a starter 2810067020 and find that I can obtain one from Amayama for only $1700 USD. So, basically I'm on a fact finding mission to see how difficult it would be to maintain the vehicle. I occurs to me that if I wanted to drive it past AAA range I may want some spares along with me as I know Auto Zone has no idea what I'm talking about when trying to locate parts for this car ( I've done that). I really like the vehicle, but the parts cost and availability may be a deal breaker to me. Shame as I love the sound of that little 3.0 diesel engine, and the looks are very classic! May be a bit much to spend on a local only vehicle ( and I may still buy it as I have really taken to it)

You are dealing with a 25+ year old non-US gray market import truck. It will only get MORE expensive to own and maintain one.

Everything will be expensive and parts procurement, while not difficult, will be difficult for a newbie like yourself.

You are dealing with a 25+ year old non-US gray market import truck. It will only get MORE expensive to own and maintain one.

Everything will be expensive and parts procurement, while not difficult, will be difficult for a newbie like yourself.
Yes, I am a newbie lol. I've rebuilt a number of classic BMW motorcycles, but with those we have max bmw and most all the parts are available. Also a ton of after market parts due to the cult following. Sure wish these prados had the same backing. I do appreciate you guys filling me in on this topic!

Yes, I am a newbie lol. I've rebuilt a number of classic BMW motorcycles, but with those we have max bmw and most all the parts are available. Also a ton of after market parts due to the cult following. Sure wish these prados had the same backing. I do appreciate you guys filling me in on this topic!
First of all, no one was born with a 1,000 ‘MUD post so everyone was a newbie at some point. I’m sure there are a number of members that have similar vehicles that will be able to share their experiences with parts procurement. The fact that you’re not buying the vehicle as a daily driver is a plus if you have to spend a few days waiting on parts. As far as ownership cost, go price a new Chevy or Ford SUV. 😁

Last edited:
Items like starters and alternators for most toyota diesels can be found on ebay Australia for a fraction of the cost of a oem one , plenty of sources worldwide with afternarket parts and the longer you own your cruiser the more you will learn about them .

Greetings, Long time Toyota fan, had an FJ80 years ago and drive a Tundra now. I recently ran into a 95 Prado import ( right hand drive ) that caught my eye. I really like the vehicle and the 3.0 liter 1kz diesel engine. No, won't be a daily driver, more of a camping and hunting trip car. My main concern is parts availability. I see that someone graciously made a nice list of various repair shops within the US ( I'm not close to any). Are in fact parts for these old cars available? I've located filters, timing belts, and a supplier in Australia that my have items. I was thinking if I bought the car I may stock an alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and starter along with a case of filters. I'm hoping to hear that the cars are supportable in the US. Hope so, sure like that 3.0 diesel sound.

Any insight and lessons learned would be very much appreciated.

Dan
Partsouq has a lot of OEM and aftermarket parts. I've found some parts on AUTO.DOC.UK that I could not find elsewhere.

Hello,

Aside from the suppliers mentioned above, make sure you include Onur / @Onur in your list.

The search function is your friend with vendors in 'MUD.

There are suppliers in Australia and Japan as well.

70 Series ownership is not cheap but manageable if you are careful enough.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom