Looking into diesel engine options.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be putting a 3B into my '67 FJ45LV. I will be getting an H41 tranny in the next few days (if I can ever get out to the wreckers). The engine will be a Japanese takeout. I'll be using the three speed transfer case. It will all be factory Toyota with the exception of a turbocharger on the 3B. You don't want any diesel that's NOT turbocharged. I like the 3B even though it's only a 4 banger.
I should be having pictures of the engine in the chassis by the end of the year on the root45.com website under "Cruiser Guy"

Parts availability is my biggest concern....gaskets are another if you live here in the states. I also looked into the 3b buts it under powered without the turbocharger. And if you add the turbocharger the life of the engine will dimish some is this true?

Parts aren't all that big a deal.. if you go with a later motor you can order parts striaght up from ens. you just have to be in the know... As long as it's not a DD it's not that big a deal. Heck there are parts you can't get period for early 40 so what's the difference.

I don't think reliability is diminished from everything I've read from the CDN boys up north. Diesels need turbo charging and the 3b has piston skirt oiling.

fjwagon said:
Parts availability is my biggest concern....gaskets are another if you live here in the states. I also looked into the 3b buts it under powered without the turbocharger. And if you add the turbocharger the life of the engine will dimish some is this true?

I put the turbo on my 3B when it was over 300,000kM's on it. It's now at 430,000kM and still going strong. Personally I think with the additional instrumentation installed with the turbo and the more efficient combustion (therefore more moderate combustion temperatures) the engine life, if diminished, will not be diminished much.

I turbo'd my daughters 3B before we even fired it up as a fresh rebuild (completely renewed with pistons, liners bearings and all the other good stuff).

I'll also be turboing the FJ45LV just as soon as I find a turbo for it and get the manifold etc. together.

You have a point, Being in the know is not going to help you much if you are stranded and have no internet access. Most places I go to get parts when I'm west Texas have a hard time finding what I need for my wagon. I think what it boils down to is preference. Some people don't want to deal with hassel. Both of my forty's have everything original in the engine compartment including the smog equipment. Well almost everytning One has an h55 and with fj60 and 4x4 pick up parts but when you look at you it you think it came from the factory that way. And it did.... in some other country but the USA. And the other cruiser has an orion transfercase but everthing is just the way it came from the factory. Sometimes you are better off interchanging parts or changing the entire drivetrain and suspension which is what I plan to do with wagon.

Yes, the 3b was design with the option of installing a turbo charger but if you run higher pressure than normal, you will shortened the life of the engine. In my opinion this engine is barely big enough for what I need it for. I'm looking for something that's a little biggger. Actually what I want is an engine that is sold here in the states.

wesintl said:
Parts aren't all that big a deal.. if you go with a later motor you can order parts striaght up from ens. you just have to be in the know... As long as it's not a DD it's not that big a deal. Heck there are parts you can't get period for early 40 so what's the difference.

I don't think reliability is diminished from everything I've read from the CDN boys up north. Diesels need turbo charging and the 3b has piston skirt oiling.

fjwagon said:
Yes, the 3b was design with the option of installing a turbo charger but if you run higher pressure than normal, you will shortened the life of the engine. In my opinion this engine is barely big enough for what I need it for. I'm looking for something that's a little biggger. Actually what I want is an engine that is sold here in the states.

As you wish, I've towed an FJ62 shell with my '82 BJ60 from SanDiego over the grapevine to Vancouver with no ill effects. It wasn't the fastest trip ever but for me the 3B with a turbo is adequate plus you can bolt up to all things Toyota (factory just not in the states in that configuration)!!

This does not surprise me, I've heard good things about this engine. It's not every day you are pulling something and yes this engine could fit my needs but after looking at the price, power and comparing it with others I'm still holding out for something made here in the states. :) The cummins 4t is also a good engine. The diesel v8's are to heavy and have too much power for what I need it for. I tried looking for a straight 6 to no avail but it seems like the 5 cylinder is the best option....just need to figure out what I can mate it to.

cruiser_guy said:
As you wish, I've towed an FJ62 shell with my '82 BJ60 from SanDiego over the grapevine to Vancouver with no ill effects. It wasn't the fastest trip ever but for me the 3B with a turbo is adequate plus you can bolt up to all things Toyota (factory just not in the states in that configuration)!!

Last edited:
fjwagon said:
This does not surprise me, I've heard good things about this engine. It's not every day you are pulling something and yes this engine could fit my needs but after looking at the price, power and comparing it with others I'm still holding out for something made here in the states. :) The cummins 4t is also a good engine. The diesel v8's are to heavy and have too much power for what I need it for. I tried looking for a straight 6 to no avail but it seems like the 5 cylinder is the best option....just need to figure out what I can mate it to.

The Cummins in the Dodge pickup is a straight 6. Big, tons of power and well built but it's a tall engine. It would be one I would consider if I was looking for a domestic engine.

Im considering the cummins 4bt myself

fjwagon: contact dieselcruiserhead on pirate 4x4 he has a 4bt in his 55 and a great web site on diesel conversions. also search the 60 forum on this site, i was reading about a 4bt swap there recently.
fyi the chevy 6.2/6.5 wieghs aprox. 700-800# a little less hp and a little more tq than a tbi 350.
the 7.3/6.9 wieghs a bit over 900# with 250hp and 400tq.
4bt: 750# with 120hp and 300tq
i hope this helps, carl

fjwagon said:
How does the 4bt handle.....compared to 2f engine? Also do you know if the straight 6 is too tall, I'm led to believe a spring over may have to be done if I go this route. :)

Sorry FJwagon, but I dont know that answer. I just joined the group about 3 months ago and they are all over the board with vehicles. I have heard that a spring over might need to be done though... 2nd hand info though... dont know if its true. Bump for an answer

I live in Japan - if you figure out how to ship the motors and/or trans I'll locate some and get them sent for you.

dieselcruiserhead, grease cruiser have them in cruisers. Proffit has done a number of conversions. You might want to venture to the INTL section as most of these diesel guys hang out there and you'll find more info than in the 45 section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom