Looking into buying a rtt hard shell. Eezi awn stealth or alu cab rtt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in the mode of reviving old threads... Who wins between Ikamper Skycamp 2.0 and the Alucab Expedition 3? Is the space more of an asset or the ability to add gear to the top/sides of the alu cab more beneficial. Is the alucab able to mount directly to the roof slots without the OEM side rails or cross bars?

I'm in the mode of reviving old threads... Who wins between Ikamper Skycamp 2.0 and the Alucab Expedition 3? Is the space more of an asset or the ability to add gear to the top/sides of the alu cab more beneficial. Is the alucab able to mount directly to the roof slots without the OEM side rails or cross bars?

I believe all of them need to be mounted on rails. Not 100% sure tho.

I believe all of them need to be mounted on rails. Not 100% sure tho.
Found this picture on the web on a review for the Expedition 3:
https://www.basillynch.com/new-blog/2017/7/2/tested-alu-cab-expedition-iii-rtt
I don't think the Skycamp can do this but it definitely saves 1300 bucks getting a good roof rack (Alucab k9 or the frontrunner slimline) and then the side rails for awning, and/or shower and top tracks on the alu cab allow for bikes maxtrax etc. mounted to the roof makes it pretty versatile.

image-asset.jpeg

I just don't know if the Ikamper's size is the winning factor or if the alucab's versitility and overall low profile mounted directly to the roofrails would take the cake....

Found this picture on the web on a review for the Expedition 3:
https://www.basillynch.com/new-blog/2017/7/2/tested-alu-cab-expedition-iii-rtt
I don't think the Skycamp can do this but it definitely saves 1300 bucks getting a good roof rack (Alucab k9 or the frontrunner slimline) and then the side rails for awning, and/or shower and top tracks on the alu cab allow for bikes maxtrax etc. mounted to the roof makes it pretty versatile.

View attachment 2039828

I just don't know if the Ikamper's size is the winning factor or if the alucab's versitility and overall low profile mounted directly to the roofrails would take the cake....

I originally had my Alucab mounted with custom mounts with no load bars. The tent sags in the middle. After talking to OK4WD, the US distributor for Alucab, they said that the sag in the middle might cause the seals to leak. I ended up adding load bars to support the full width of the tent.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend mounting the tent like the picture above. You don't need a roof rack, but you do need some supports under the tent.

I see the Skycamp has 1.8” foam. That’s not hardly any support. I just upgraded my 2.5” foam on my
Maggiolina Extreme. Something to think about.

Good call. I think the other reply to an alucab thread said that nothing is good enough that comes with a rtt. You always have to replace it. Why don’t they just sell the thing without the mattress or a few options. I want a 3-4” foam mattress under me. Either I pay 4K and then replace the ladder or the mattress. (Alucab vs ikamper respectively). Some people need to replace the mattress in an alu cab.

Good call. I think the other reply to an alucab thread said that nothing is good enough that comes with a rtt. You always have to replace it. Why don’t they just sell the thing without the mattress or a few options. I want a 3-4” foam mattress under me. Either I pay 4K and then replace the ladder or the mattress. (Alucab vs ikamper respectively). Some people need to replace the mattress in an alu cab.
Or we all wish we were in our 20's again and a 1/2" Thermarest is enough! LOL!

Or we all wish we were in our 20's again and a 1/2" Thermarest is enough! LOL!
Times have changed...current tech makes that a pretty lousy option for so many reasons. But yes i wish I wasn’t a complaining 30 something with some expendable income and a bunch of free time...

My alucab had a very firm almost 3" pad. I added 2" memory foam on top and still have room for sleeping bag, blankets, pillow and it still closes and is amazingly comfortable.

My alucab had a very firm almost 3" pad. I added 2" memory foam on top and still have room for sleeping bag, blankets, pillow and it still closes and is amazingly comfortable.

I've heard some guys say they just added a topper to the stock mattress, and they were fine. I just ditched it altogether. Mine is 3 inches total. It works for me. Mattress comfort is pretty specific to the individual. I met a guy last week who uses an Exped megamat, which are super comfortable. I didn't want to deal with adjusting the inflation.

The alucab sounds like it would be a good fit for me plus one other if we were very comfy sleeping close (I snore)... The ikamper sounds like it would be a big thing that fits in the same area on the car top. The alu cab would be great for attaching an awning and a road shower to either side and my maxtrax to the top. It would have great durability and is a great brand. Ikamper has way more space and is a solid design (especially the v2). If I get into a rain storm or a cold weather camping situation, it seems like a bit more space would be awesome inside the tent. I don't know that I would want to go hang in the alu cab, the ikamper, maybe. A dedicated annex room that was covered? Yes. It sounds like Alu cab needs to be mounted to cross rails, mounting directly to the roof increases the risk of leaking and it sags in the middle which cannot be good for the tent or the roof. Ikamper can likely mount directly to the 100 series roof rails and is fairly easy on/off. I would likely need to modify the ladder and mattress on the alu cab, would need to modify the mattress only on the ikamper.

Someone convince me to go one way or the other!

The alucab sounds like it would be a good fit for me plus one other if we were very comfy sleeping close (I snore)... The ikamper sounds like it would be a big thing that fits in the same area on the car top. The alu cab would be great for attaching an awning and a road shower to either side and my maxtrax to the top. It would have great durability and is a great brand. Ikamper has way more space and is a solid design (especially the v2). If I get into a rain storm or a cold weather camping situation, it seems like a bit more space would be awesome inside the tent. I don't know that I would want to go hang in the alu cab, the ikamper, maybe. A dedicated annex room that was covered? Yes. It sounds like Alu cab needs to be mounted to cross rails, mounting directly to the roof increases the risk of leaking and it sags in the middle which cannot be good for the tent or the roof. Ikamper can likely mount directly to the 100 series roof rails and is fairly easy on/off. I would likely need to modify the ladder and mattress on the alu cab, would need to modify the mattress only on the ikamper.

Someone convince me to go one way or the other!

I like my Alu-cab. I've hung out in it during a storm. Would be nice to have something to lean against though.

I've seen guys put away soft top tents after a stormy night. Looks like it sucks. Ikamper might be a degree or two better than a soft top since you don't have to fight with the cover. Not sure about folding the ikamper up before closing the shell. Haven't seen one in person.

Ultimately, it's up to you. I've got no regrets on mine. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom