Looking in to an 80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am selling my JK 4 door Wrangler to pay off some debt, but wanting to replace it with another 4x4 that can be taken on family trips and camping. How do the 80 series handle interstate driving? I know gas mileage will be bad, but can they travel well at high speeds? Thanks.

My 80 is stock but it rides great on the highway. Smooth, quite, and very good in the snow. I love it!

It's a great all purpose vehicle. Even modified, they handle well on the road and wheel amazingly well.:bounce::bounce2:

Check out the Copper State Cruisers board and plan on attending a meet. You'll get to see a bunch of modified and heavily wheeled rigs up close and personal.:idea::cheers:

Drives straight and smooth at 75mph with a 4" lift and 35's.

Decent power, smooth ride, slighty tippy side to side, but new shocks helped mine out.

Gas mileage on the highway is actually better than many suspect (I've seen 16+ mpg myself on occasion), especially if you keep the weight and other mpg-sucking mods under control.

And, yeah, it's the best vehicle I've ever had for the road. That includes a 76 Subaru 4x4 wagon, a 76 FJ-55, an 84 Trooper, and a 93 Rodeo.

Toyota's flagship SUV will give you a comfortable ride on or off road.
Full time 4WD will give better handling than many other SUV's.

I usually keep it around 65-75 mph.
At 55 mph HWY I get 15.9 mpg.

In town I get 10-12 mpg.

Very good off road!

Just remember that these trucks are 15+ years old.

Drive really well for a vehicle of this age if it was maintained properly by PO
Awesome to modify and wheel
I hope you are good with a wrench and or have deep pockets
They need their maintainence to run in tip top shape
You should read the FAQ 80 series cost of onwership good stuff
Buying and 80 is not just another 4x4 it is a fulltime relationship:D

a 80 series Land Cruiser is a very comfortable, quiet ride on the interstate. This is one of the chief reasons I own a 80 series Land Cruiser and not some other 4x4.

you won't be disappointed in the on-road manners.

expect the need to do some PM to make it drive the way you want and the 80 is a great older-model vehicle to purchase for your stated use.

I just picked up my 96 LX last Friday. Drove about 450ish miles to get it home. I was cruising between 75-85 mph most of the way. Easy smooth driving. I filled up twice but only used 1.5 tanks to get it home. I figured out my mileage on the 2nd time I filled up and i was averaging almost 16 mpg. Now granted the truck is stock and it was all highway. Great truck. My wife likes this truck more then her 2007 FJ Cruiser which she calls her "boyfriend".

Highly recommended truck coming from a newb.:beer:

Hey guys,

I am selling my JK 4 door Wrangler to pay off some debt, but wanting to replace it with another 4x4 that can be taken on family trips and camping. How do the 80 series handle interstate driving? I know gas mileage will be bad, but can they travel well at high speeds? Thanks.

Coming from a JK you won't be disappointed with the highway performance as both the JK and Land Cruiser are just adequate in terms of power. However, find an 80 with lockers and most JK's (minus the Rubicon) can't follow it off-road.

I'd love to tell you I have mixed emotions, but honestly I don't think I will I will ever sell my 80...even with gas approaching $4/gallon....let it climb baby, I don't care. My 80 is versatile, transports 8 if I need it to with my 3rd row installed...capable tower, great offroad (though I am mainly onroad)...I pull my kids in the winter in a field behind our house in 15-24" snow (plus drifts) with street tires and NEVER get stuck. True what you hear about maintenance but once it's all caught up it's not bad to deal with, but you will get the bug to upgrade stuff and add stuff.

I think the main reason I bought mine aside from loving the 80 (it still looks badd@$$ after 16 years) is this forum...I researched within this site and learned a ton before investing in mine...it has saved me literally thousands of dollars in repair as my previous owner did not maintain the truck like he should have...but there are fixes all over this site for repairs...step by step, photos, etc. I can't say enough about all these members...worthwhile people with a passion for their trucks and helping others enjoy their LC'ers.

My one complaint about highway driving is the side mirrors are a bit too big and blocky and create some serious wind noise...hard to believe that Toyota let this happen but evidently they did unless I was mistaken and the noise is from somewhere else...thought it might be my worn window seal, but not likely I guess. Would love to remove them if I had another option that cut the wind better.

Mileage does suck...BAD, but not enough to ever consider getting rid of it...and I daily drive mine 26 miles each way to work. Lots of gas...just learn to drive it efficiently and it will save a few here or there. Handles great all around and mine is with stock shocks with plenty of miles...getting ready to put new KYB Gas A Just shocks on with some new tires, should make the ride that much better...excited about that. Good luck...welcome and hope to see you around the forum!!

I love my 80 and wouldn't trade it for anything else, my :princess: loves it even more. I get about 15MPG on the freeway at 75MPH (bone stock, no mods). When my 2000 ranger bites the dust, I will probably buy another 80 for myself (hopefully with lockers) :D

AZchris...I'm guessing you're in Arizona. When I drive from Tucson to Pinetop, uphill through the canyon, my 93 definitely slows down. I keep the rpms up and she keeps a reasonable pace.
On a flat highway, my truck goes along fine at eighty mph but I usually travel slower because I don't trust the brakes! They work properly but my Volvo 240, for example, had better braking under emergency handling situations. Adding extra weight while neglecting brake upgrades, I guess. Put that on the list too :eek::cool:

We test drove a 4 door JK for my wifes DD, and I can assure you, the 80 is a superior vehicle in every respect, other than a lack of factory warranty!! You won't regret the change. No payment will be a treat, but as others have stated, you can expect to spend a thousand or two getting your new 80 up to date with maintenance. Get shopping!

LC > heep

the only thing you will miss about the JK is the removable top

and maybe the cup holders :flipoff2:

I DD my new 80, does fine on the interstate, backroads, dirt roads, around town.... I run the 2.5" lift an ARB w/winch. 33bfg ATs

I am still learning to drive (all over again) the skinny pedal is different than anything I have ever driven. I thought I was going easy on it until I "floored" it to pass a truck, I was already all the way down :eek:

I have gotten 13, +-1mpg every time I have filled up. (that means as low as 12 as much as 14) I am confident once I learn to drive this thing correctly -proper pedal control- I'll get 17 like the PO told me he did.

AZchris is this going to be a DD or just a weekend truck??
I ask because the 62 series would be another good vehicle to look at, I wouldnt DD one, but the asking price for most of these are dropping like a rock, CL has some in the 1-2k range, for the price of a "nice" 80 you could fix up a 62 and have a vehicle with mojo to spare. For a camping/weekend truck I think it would great. More storage in the rear + Design and Fabrication WagonGear was formed specifically to address the building of storage solutions and custom parts for Land Cruiser wagons. In addition to my line of products I offer general design assistance and fabrication of all kinds. You can has a TON of storage options to really make a 60 series stand out.

and of course the higher gas prices climb the more people will be selling their 100 series to go out and buy the newest ford hybrid or what ever is "in" that week. You will pay more up front but you will have a newer vehicle (often with less miles) one that is less likely to have been off road, less likely to have been treated like a toy, one that has been a kid hauler grocery getter all its life. Something worked on by the dealer, and fewer previous owners.

Personally I wouldnt pick either over an 80, but that does not mean they are not great vehicles, that in their own ways have certain features "better" than an 80, I picked an 80 because I wanted a solid front axle, and a reliable relatively comfortable DD. I looked for my 80 for over a year. To get a good one you will have to be patient. Good luck :cheers:

Bought the 80 with no intention of ever selling.. it will have to rust apart in my garage before that happens

I did the exact same thing. I had a 2008 Rubicon,3.5'' lift 37's and a ton of other mods. I was sick of having a car payment and made enough on the sale of my jeep to pay cash for my 80. I love having the 80 it does every thing i need. I tote 2 kids around all the time and feel like its a very safe vehicle for them. I also own a landscaping company and have to pull a small trailer with a mower on it from tiime to time and it does great. As for off-roadi thinkit will do just fine, my only problem was gas but i drive my moms honda accord when i can to save a little here and there. Here is the jeep i sold
DSC05791.jpg

Here is how the 80 looked when i got it
DSC05961.jpg

Here is what it looks like now with 35's and 4.88's
DSC06049.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom